Motor Vehicle Policy: Vehicle Use & Passengers
- Vehicle Use - drivers must comply with the following when using College owned, leased or rented vehicles:
- Operate vehicles in accordance with applicable local, state and federal laws and College policies, at all times. (This agreement is found on the bottom portion of the Application for College Driving Privileges, and must be signed by the driver prior to the time eligibility is conferred.)
- Report any vehicle accident to the Department Supervisor and Business Services immediately. Failure to report may result in the loss of driving privileges.
- Comply with NYS Seat Belt Laws for driver and passengers.
- Agree to comply with no smoking or the use of tobacco in accordance with the NYS Clean Indoor Air Act.
- Agree to comply with no use of handheld electronic devises (cell phones/texting) while driving in accordance with NYS law.
- Assume the responsibility for payment of all driver related traffic violations and citations received.
- Agree that any unauthorized use of Skidmore owned, rented or leased vehicles for non-College related purposes would result in revocation of driving privileges.
- Fleet Vehicle Use - in addition to the vehicle uses outlined above, the following is expected of the driver when using College owned vehicles:
- At the beginning and end of vehicle use, the driver will be expected to sign-in/out, to include name, date, time, mileage out, and mileage in.
- After fueling vehicle, give fuel receipt to department secretary and include your name, vehicle information, and account number to be charged.
- At the end of vehicle use, vehicle should be cleared of any trash or debris.
- Vehicle warm-up-time is restricted to a maximum of 10 minutes.
- For events of snow or ice, scrappers and snow brooms will be available in the vehicle and are to be used to avoid damage to wiper units/blades.
- Towing a trailer adds a significant risk to vehicle operations, and therefore, only authorized Faculty, Staff or Students who have been properly trained to tow trailers are allowed to tow trailers and equipment with Skidmore College owned, leased or rented vehicles. Training shall only be offered to individuals identified by departments as individuals required to tow.
All passengers must be participating in a College business or sponsored activity or event at the time they are traveling in a College owned, leased or rented vehicle. Passengers should be limited to employees and students, unless approved by the sponsoring Department.
No occupant of the vehicle is permitted to smoke and must wear seat belts whenever seatbelts are available. It is the driver's responsibility to ensure all passenger compliance.