Skidmore-Saratoga Consulting Partnership (SSCP) fact sheet
- SSCP is the public face of MB 360, a 4-credit, advanced-level strategic consulting course at Skidmore College.
- MB 360 is highly selective, requiring a GPA of 3.6 or above, a faculty nomination and the completion of a series of interviews.
- SSCP offers pro bono consulting services to businesses and nonprofit organizations in Saratoga. Each semester, SSCP partners with approximately three clients. There is currently a waiting list of organizations hoping to engage the services of SSCP.
- Each semester SSCP selects approximately 12 students from all majors and minors campuswide, including arts administration, computer science, economics, management and business, mathematics, physics, social work, sociology and studio art.
- SSCP’s international student consultants over the last four years have come from Brazil, Cameroon, China, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Ghana, Haiti, India, Japan, Nepal, Senegal, Swaziland, Vietnam and Zimbabwe.
- Each semester, SSCP has approximately three teams of student consultants, each assigned to one client. In addition, two to three managing consultants (who have previously excelled in the course) supervise all three teams.
- SSCP’s recent clients include:
- Battenkill Valley Creamery
- Children’s Museum of Saratoga Springs
- City of Saratoga Bike Share Program
- Death Wish Coffee
- Habitat for Humanity of Northern Saratoga
- Northshire Bookstore
- Peabody’s Sports Bar
- Roohan Realty
- Saratoga Brewery
- Saratoga Chips
- Saratoga Juice Bar
- Saratoga Marketplace
- Saratoga Preservation Foundation
- Saratoga Spring Water Company
- Saratoga Today
- Saratoga Film Forum
- Universal Preservation Hall
- Warren and Washington counties
- The SSCP consulting teams create two deliverables for each client over the 12-week course: 1) a PowerPoint Presentation delivered to the client’s executive team, board of directors or invited audiences and 2) a comprehensive 30- to 40-page consulting report. (Examples available upon request.)
- SSCP services include market research, including extensive surveys and focus groups; competitive analyses; best-practice benchmarking; financial analyses; and social media plans, graphic audits and comprehensive strategic recommendations.
- SSCP consultants and clients sign nondisclosure agreements to protect all shared data.
- SSCP consultants have traveled to Albany, Boston, New Jersey, NYC, Schenectady, Troy and Vermont to research various markets, production facilities and competitors.
- SSCP has recently been designated as one of Skidmore’s Applied Civic Engagement (ACE) courses.
- Since 2012, Executive-in-Residence Colleen Burke has taught MB 360 and led SSCP. Burke was one of the first women graduates of Harvard Business School and has had a 25-year career as a strategic consultant. She has taught at Skidmore for 15 years. MB 360 was created in 2000 by Professor of Economics Roy Rotheim.
- There are two videos about SSCP, one from the perspective of clients and one from
the perspective of students. These videos are both available on SSCP websites. Internal
External website: www.skidmoreconsulting.org/
- For additional information about SSCP, please contact Burke at email@example.com, cell 617 510 6487.
- Skidmore Catalog description of the SSCP course:
MB 360 Consulting: Practice, Process, and Problem Solving
Applied Civic Engagement Course (ACE)
Advanced seminar and practicum focusing on the process and practice of strategic consulting. Student consultants partner with the extended Saratoga community through the course’s Skidmore-Saratoga Consulting Partnership (SSCP) to provide pro bono consulting services. Working in teams, students apply their academic training and knowledge to identify and tackle critical business issues and recommend strategic opportunities, helping area for-profit and not-for-profit clients achieve their goals. The final deliverables of MB 360 include a formal consulting report and presentation to the client.