Saratoga Shakespeare Company Intensive Production & Training Program
Immerse, Explore and Reinforce
Skidmore College is pleased to partner with the Saratoga Shakespeare Company to offer credit-bearing summer internships and apprenticeships. Work with directors and Actors’ Equity Company members from NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles, as well as from the local community on this summer’s production of The Winter’s Tale and A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Join Equity membership candidacy and earn points toward your Equity card. Intern and apprentice housing is available at Skidmore for students enrolled for college credit. More information is available at Saratoga Shakespeare Company.
Summer 2017 is an especially exciting season to join our Youth Theatre Professional Company (July 2nd - August 9th). Work on a professional Equity Shakespeare production outdoors in historic Congress Park. We also offer the opportunity for you to be a part of our “Shakespeare for All” tour bringing a second production to different areas in the community. Focus on daily, rigorous training in Acting, Directing, Technical Theatre or Theatre Administration.
Reasons to Join SSC's Youth Theatre Professional Company
- Earn Equity Membership Candidate points towards fullmembership in Actors’ Equity.
- Learn from professional theatre artists.
- Start your professional theatre career and build your network.
- Enhance your professional résumé working with an established professional company.
Choose Your Area of Training
- Acting Ensemble Track: participate in daily training (Voice, Movement, Classical Acting and Michael Chekhov) as well as in two productions. Plus get experience in a technical area.
- Directing Track: work on one of the two main-stage productions as an Assistant Director and in a technical capacity.
- Technical Theatre Track: Opt for your area of work in Costume, ASM, Set or Sound as well as do Running Crew. (We will attempt to honor your request.)
Transferrable College Credit and Fee Information:
- SSC Participation Fee (mandatory): $650
- 3 - Credit Course (optional/SSC Participation Fee is not required for this option): $2,355
- Skidmore Housing: $238 per week
- Food Plan: 10 meals, $100 per week; 14 meals, $140 per week
- Scholarships toward the SSC Participation Fee only may be available on a case by case basis
TH-304 • Theater Performance • 3 • Lary Opitz
Students will train with and perform with The Saratoga Shakespeare Company, a professional theater with an Actors' Equity contract. Students will be cast in roles in a production and will rehearse for a two week period and then perform in the production for twelve performances over two weeks. Training will involve techniques in Shakespearean acting, stage movement and combat, vocal work and career preparation. Students are eligible to join the Actors' Equity EMC (Equity Membership Candidate) program and will accrue four points towards Equity membership. Requires permission of instructor.
TH-305F • Theater Production• 3 • Lary Opitz
Students will be involved in various aspects of production and/or arts management with The Saratoga Shakespeare Company, a professional theater with an Actors' Equity contract. Students will have a variety of opportunities to train and work in the areas of scenic construction, sound reinforcement, stage management, costume construction, arts management, and career development throughout the two week rehearsal period and the two week performance period. Requires permission of instructor.
For instructor approval, contact Lary Opitz at email@example.com.
Email your letter of interest, headshot (actors only), résumé and one letter of recommendation to Tim Dugan at firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Acting Candidates: check website for audition dates/times or submit an audition video as a Youtube link.