Health and Exercise Sciences at Skidmore College
The mission of Skidmore's Health and Exercise Sciences department is to study and expand the relationship among physical activity, nutrition, and human health. Health and Exercise Sciences course work and research emphasize an understanding of the effects of acute and chronic exercise on human function, health, and the physiological and biochemical mechanisms that underlie the responses and adaptations to exercise. Bolstering the Exercise Science curriculum is a commitment to physical fitness, health promotion, and disease prevention. The Skidmore Health and Exercise Sciences faculty are committed to furthering the discipline and student comprehension by utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to conduct college-wide, regional, national, and internationally visible research, while maintaining important affiliations with many scientific and professional organizations. We invite you to research the Health and Exercise Sciences department at Skidmore College!
- Denise L. Smith, professor of Health and Exercise Sciences has received the Dr. John
Granito Award for Excellence in Fire Service Leadership and Management Research (the
Dr. Granito Award). Professor Smith will give the Keynote Address at the 2015 Fire
Leadership and Management Symposium, scheduled July 8-10 in Tulsa, OK. Her talk will
focus on "understanding and preventing sudden cardiac events in the fire service"
based on the research conducted over the past 20 years.
- Alumni Tim Russell finishes The 2014 Ironman World Championship 9th in his age group!
- Andrea Paulson ('03) is picoted in this story - she is currently Director of Prodcut Engineering at Saucony.
Molly Gile ’13 and Lauren Conway ’13 Publish Their Senior Thesis in the Journal of Osteoporosis & Physical Activity.
Prestigious Alumni publication - Jonathan R. Brestoff Parker has just published an article in "Nature" International weekly journal of science: Group 2 innate lymphoid cells promote beiging of white adipose tissue and limit obesity. Click to see story.
- Skidmore College Awarded $1.4 Million for Research, conducted by Dr. Denise Smith,
on Firefighter Deaths.
- Our Own World Class Scholar - Jeff Segrave and the Sochi Olympics.
- Professor Reynolds interviewed by Times Union.
- Patricia Fehling appointed Endowed Chair of The Class of 1948 for Excellence in Teaching
Read more recent news >>