Camp Northwoods Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where is the camp located?
Camp Northwoods is based in Falstaff’s Pavillion on the Skidmore College campus. Drivers should enter the campus via the North Broadway entrance, take their first right, and follow the perimeter road to the Falstaff Parking Lot which is the first parking lot on the right, across from North Hall. After parking, follow the trail through the woods to Falstaff’s. Counselors will be available at the trail to greet you the first day of each session.
2. When should I drop off and pick up my camper?
Please drop off your camper at 8:30 a.m. and pick up before 5:00 p.m.
3. When should I bring in the healthy snacks for my child’s group?
Snacks (for 25 campers) should be delivered the first day of each session. Healthy snack options include cereal mix (gorp), cheese and crackers, crackers and fruit spread, ethnic dishes, fresh fruits or vegetables, fruit juice, fruit kabobs, fruit or yogurt popsicles, milk, muffins, pretzels, and sparkling fruit juice.
4. Can I send in a snack that is perishable and won’t keep if brought in the first day of camp?
Speak with the director or assistant director the first day of the session to arrange for a more convenient time to drop off your snack.
5. Can a family member chaperone field trips?
We appreciate the interest and offer from parents to give of their valuable time and energy. It is, however, in the best interest of the program, and for the safety of the campers, that we maintain the Camp Safety Policy. Trip chaperones must consist of the fully-trained camp staff employed by Skidmore College.
6. What is expected of the children during the field trip to the High Ropes Course?
All children will be encouraged, but not required, to participate in activities. This philosophy applies to all camp activities. Every opportunity will be offered to provide a “learning experience” for each child. If given the chance, children are likely to accept challenges and find great personal satisfaction in their accomplishments.
7. What are the plans for White Water Rafting or Tubing Trips?
Campers will not be allowed to get out of the raft or tube to enter the water. Trained staff and one or two counselors will accompany each raft. There will be a certified lifeguard with the beginner swimmers.
8. Are we able to split a two-week session with another camper?
Unfortunately no, we are unable to accommodate this type of request.
9. Will a camper be able to leave rain gear, a change of clothes, sweatshirts, suntan lotion, bug repellant or other personal items at camp?
Yes, each child will have an area they can store their possessions. We suggest all items be clearly labeled. Camp Northwoods is not responsible for lost or stolen items. We also suggest bathing suits and towels be brought home daily to dry.
10. Do you have a Lost and Found?
Yes, Lost and Found will be clearly marked. At the end of each session please be sure to check through the pile.
11. How do you protect children’s clothing and shoes during art activities?
Parents should send in a smock or old t-shirt and footwear specific for art activities the first day of camp.
12. Where do I direct additional questions?
Prior to the start of Camp, questions can be directed to the staff in the Office of the Dean of Special Programs. Debbie Amico can be reached by phone at 518-580-5596 or via e-mail at email@example.com. After Camp begins, you may call Falstaff’s Pavilion at 518-580-8116, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or speak to the director, assistant director, or counseling staff when dropping off or picking up your camper.