If you become ill with flu-like symptoms while you are on campus, please consider the following recommendations:
- Stay home when you are sick. If possible, remail at home or in your residence hall room except to seek medical/health care. Avoid going to classes, work, errands, the dining hall, restaurants, and social events while you are sick. You will be helping to prevent others from getting your illness.
- Call Health Services to report your illness (518-580-5550)
- For mild symptoms you can care for yourself by doing the following:
- Drink plenty of fluids (water, fruit juices)
- Take fever-reducing medicines (Tykenol, ibuprofen) as directed
- If self-care measures are not effective and/or you feel you need further evaluation come to Health Services (1st floor Jonsson Tower)
- For severe symptoms, come to Health Services or seek care at the local Urgent Care Center or Hospital Emergency Department.
- Avoid Close Contact. When you are sick, keep your distance (at least 6 feet) from others to protect them from getting sick, too. If close contact cannot be avoided, it is advisable to wear a paper surgical mask (available from Health Services), if tolerable, when you are around other people.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing to prevent others around you from becoming ill.