Crystal Dea Moore
Associate Professor and Chair,
Office: Tisch Learning Center 221
- PhD, Social Welfare, University at Albany, State University of New York, 2000
- Master of Social Work, University at Albany, State University of New York, 1997
- Master of Arts, Behavioral Sciences, California State University, Bakersfield 1987
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, California State University, Bakersfield 1986
- Gerontology; Health care communication; End-of-life and palliative care; Family caregiving; Family functioning; Promoting evidence-based practice into agency culture
- Research Methods for the Human Services (SW 241)
- Human Behavior and the Social Environment (SW 253)
- Community Engagement (SW 214)
- Death and Dying (SW 219)
- Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families (SW 333)
- Kuebler, K., Davis, M., & Moore, C.D. (2005). Palliative practices: An interdisciplinary approach. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
SELECTED PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Moore, C.D., Bernadini, G., Hinerman, R., Sigond, K., Dowling, J., Wang, B., & Shelton, W. (2012). The effect of a family support intervention on physician, nurse and family perceptions of care in the surgical, neurological and medical ICUs. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly, 35(4), p. 1-10.
- Ebrahimi, Z., Wilhelmson, K., Moore, C.D., & Jakobsson, A. (2012). Frail elders’ experiences with and perceptions of health. Qualitative Health Research. DOI: 10.1177/1049732312457246
- Rye, M., Fleri, A., Moore, C.D., Worthington, E., Wade, N., Sandage, S., & Cook, K. (2012). Evaluation of an intervention designed to help divorced parents forgive their ex-spouse. Journal of Divorce and Remarriage, 53, 231-245.
- Moore, C.D. (2012). The Caregiver-Provider Relationship Assessment: Measuring family caregivers’ perceptions of relationship quality with health care providers. Evaluation and the Health Professions, 35(1), 104-110.
- Löve, J., Moore, C.D., & Hensing, G. (2011). Validation of the Swedish translation of the General Self-Efficacy scale. Quality of Life Research. DOI: 10.1007/s11136-011-0030-5.
- Moore, C.D. & Cook, K. (2011). Promoting and measuring family caregivers’ self-efficacy in caregiver-physician interactions. Social Work in Health Care, 50(10), 801-814. (co-author was Skidmore psychology major)
- Loe, M. & Moore, C.D. (2011). From nursing home to Green House: Changing contexts of elder care in the United States. Journal of Applied Gerontology. DOI: 10.1177/0733464811401022
- Moore, C.D. (2010). The impact of family functioning on caregiver burden among caregivers of veterans with congestive heart failure. Journal of Family Social Work, 13(5), 451-462.
- Shelton, W., Moore, C.D., Socaris, S., Gao, J., & Dowling, J. (2010). The effect of a family support intervention on family satisfaction, length-of-stay, and cost of care in the ICU. Critical Care Medicine, 38(5), 1315-1320.
- Roth, S., & Moore, C.D. (2009). Work-Family Fit: The impact of emergency medical services work on the family system. Prehospital Emergency Care, 13, 462-468.
- Moore, C.D., & Phillips, J. (2009). In these rounds, health care professionals heal themselves. Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life and Palliative Care, 5 (3/4), 116-125.
- Heckel, E.A., & Moore, C.D. (2009). Community-based participatory research: The college as the focal community. Journal of Baccalaureate Social Work, 14, 45-62. (First author was a BSW student)
- Moore, C.D. (2005). Communication issues and advance care planning. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 21, 11-19.
- Csikai, E., Roth, S., & Moore, C.D. (2004). Ethical problems faced in end-of-life care decision making by oncology social workers and the need for practice guidelines. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 37, p. 1-16.
- Meyers, J., Moore, C.D., McGrory, A., Sparr, J., & Ahern, M. (2004). Use of the Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (POLST) form to honor the wishes of nursing home residents for end-of-life care: Preliminary results of a Washington state pilot project. Journal of Gerontological Nursing 30, 37-46.
- Moore, C.D., Sparr, J., Sherman, S., & Avery, L. (2003). Surrogate decision-making: Judgment standard preferences of older adults. Social Work in Health Care, 37, 1-16.
- Moore, C.D. & Sherman, S. (1999). Factors that influence elders’ decisions to formulate advance directives. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 31, 21 - 39.
- Moore, C.D. & Waterman, C. (1999). Predicting self-protection against sexual assault in dating relationships among heterosexual men and women, gay men, lesbians, and bisexuals. Journal of College Student Development, 40, 132 - 140.
SELECTED FELLOWSHIPS, GRANTS, AND HONORS
- National Community Action Award, Saratoga County Economic Opportunity Council, New York, 2012
- The Swedish Foundation for International Cooperation in Research and Higher Education (STINT) Fellowship, Working with Older Adults in Health Care Contexts. University of Gothenburg, Sweden, 3/1/11-5/31/11
- Anita Rosen Best Practices in Gerontological Infusion in Baccalaureate Social Work Curricula, Council on Social Work Education Gero-Ed Center, Alexandria, VA (2009)
- Principal Investigator, Baccalaureate Experiential Learning Program for Gertontological Social Work, Council on Social Work Education and John A. Hartford Foundation. (2008, Amount: $7,500).
- Co-Principal Investigator, Renewal of Veteran’s Health Administration Pilot Program for Caregiver Assistance, Communicating Effectively with Health Care Professionals: Evaluation of a Curriculum for Family Caregivers. (2008, Amount: $95,000)
- Co-Principal Investigator, Veteran’s Health Administration Pilot Program for Caregiver Assistance, Communicating Effectively with Health Care Professionals: Evaluation of a Curriculum for Family Caregivers. (2007, Amount: $229,727)
- John A. Hartford Foundation. Hartford Faculty Scholars Program in Geriatric Social Work. Research and professional development funding for 2006-2008. Research project: The Impact of Family Functioning and Health Care Communication on Health Care Cost and Utilization. (2006-2008, Amount of award: $100,000 plus travel/staff development costs)