Crystal Dea Moore
Professor and Chair,
Quadracchi Chair of Social Responsibility
Office: Tisch Learning Center 221
- PhD, Social Welfare, University at Albany, State University of New York, 2000
- Master of Social Work, University at Albany, State University of New York, 1997
- Master of Arts, Behavioral Sciences, California State University, Bakersfield 1987
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, California State University, Bakersfield 1986
- Gerontology; self-efficacy and mental health; construction and validation of instruments for research and practice; health services research
- Research Methods for the Human Services (SW 241)
- Human Behavior and the Social Environment (SW 253)
- Community Engagement (SW 214)
- Death and Dying (SW 219)
- Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families (SW 333)
- Introduction to Social Work and Social Welfare (SW 222)
- Kuebler, K., Davis, M., & Moore, C.D. (2005). Palliative practices: An interdisciplinary approach. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Rye, M., & Moore, C.D. (forthcoming in early 2015). The Divorce recovery workbook: How to heal from anger, hurt and resentment and get the life you want. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS SINCE 2010
- Bedard, J., Moore, C.D., & Shelton, W. (in press). A survey of healthcare industry representative participation in surgical cases. Journal of Clinical Ethics.
- Andersson, L., Moore, C.D., Hensing, G., Krantz, G., & Staland-Nyman, C. (2014.). General Self-Efficacy and its relationship to self-reported mental illness and barriers to care: A randomized population study. Community Mental Health Journal. DOI 10.1007/s10597-014-9722-y
- Löve, J., Moore, C.D., Andersson, L. & Hensing, G. (2014). Validation of the Swedish translation of the WHO Well-Being Scales. Quality of Life Research, 23, 293-297.
- Moore, C.D., & Reynolds, A. (2013). Clinical update: Communication issues and advance care planning. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 29(4), e1-e12. (co-author was a Skidmore social work major)
- Ebrahimi, Z., Wilhelmson, K., Eklund, K., Moore, C.D., & Jakobsson, A. (2013). Exploring influences on frail older adults’ experiences of health. Geriatric Nursing, 34(4), 289-294.
- Jonsson, P., Jakobsson, A., Hensing, G., Linde, M., Moore, C.D., and Hedenrud, T. (2013). Holding on to the indispensable medication: A grounded theory on medication use from the perspective of persons with medication overuse headache. The Journal of Headache and Pain, 14. DOI: 10.1186/1129-2377-14-43
- Moore, C.D., Gao, K., & Shulan, M. (2013). Racial, income, and marital status disparities in hospital readmissions within a veterans integrated health care network. Evaluation and the Health Professions. DOI: 10.1177/0163278713492982
- Shulan, M., Gao, K., & Moore, C.D. (2013). Predicting 30-day all-cause hospital readmissions. Health Care Management Science, 16(2), 167-172.
- Moore, C.D., Bernadini, G., Hinerman, R., Sigond, K., Dowling, J., Wang, B., & Shelton, W. (2012). The effect of a family support intervention on physician, nurse and family perceptions of care in the surgical, neurological and medical ICUs. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly, 35(4), p. 1-10.
- Ebrahimi, Z., Wilhelmson, K., Moore, C.D., & Jakobsson, A. (2012). Frail elders’ experiences with and perceptions of health. Qualitative Health Research. DOI: 10.1177/1049732312457246
- Rye, M., Fleri, A., Moore, C.D., Worthington, E., Wade, N., Sandage, S., & Cook, K. (2012). Evaluation of an intervention designed to help divorced parents forgive their ex-spouse. Journal of Divorce and Remarriage, 53, 231-245. (two co-authors were Skidmore psychology majors)
- Moore, C.D. (2012). The Caregiver-Provider Relationship Assessment: Measuring family caregivers’ perceptions of relationship quality with health care providers. Evaluation and the Health Professions, 35(1), 104-110.
- Löve, J., Moore, C.D., & Hensing, G. (2011). Validation of the Swedish translation of the General Self-Efficacy scale. Quality of Life Research. DOI: 10.1007/s11136-011-0030-5.
- Moore, C.D. & Cook, K. (2011). Promoting and measuring family caregivers’ self-efficacy in caregiver-physician interactions. Social Work in Health Care, 50(10), 801-814. (co-author was Skidmore psychology major)
- Loe, M. & Moore, C.D. (2011). From nursing home to Green House: Changing contexts of elder care in the United States. Journal of Applied Gerontology. DOI: 10.1177/0733464811401022
- Moore, C.D. (2010). The impact of family functioning on caregiver burden among caregivers of veterans with congestive heart failure. Journal of Family Social Work, 13(5), 451-462.
- Shelton, W., Moore, C.D., Socaris, S., Gao, J., & Dowling, J. (2010). The effect of a family support intervention on family satisfaction, length-of-stay, and cost of care in the ICU. Critical Care Medicine, 38(5), 1315-1320.
SELECTED FELLOWSHIPS, GRANTS, AND HONORS
- Volunteer of the Year, Saratoga Bridges, 2014
- Quadracchi Chair of Social Responsibility, Endowed Chair at Skidmore College, 2014-2019
- Mit Joyner Gerontology Leadership Award, Baccalaureate Program Directors (BPD) and Association for Gerontology Education in Social Work (AGE-SW), 2013
- National Community Action Award, Saratoga County Economic Opportunity Council, New York, 2012
- The Swedish Foundation for International Cooperation in Research and Higher Education (STINT) Fellowship, Working with Older Adults in Health Care Contexts. University of Gothenburg, Sweden, 3/1/11-5/31/11
- Anita Rosen Best Practices in Gerontological Infusion in Baccalaureate Social Work Curricula, Council on Social Work Education Gero 2009
- Principal Investigator, Baccalaureate Experiential Learning Program for Gertontological Social Work, Council on Social Work Education and John A. Hartford Foundation. (2008, Amount: $7,500).
- Co-Principal Investigator, Renewal of Veteran’s Health Administration Pilot Program for Caregiver Assistance, Communicating Effectively with Health Care Professionals: Evaluation of a Curriculum for Family Caregivers. (2008, Amount: $95,000)
- Co-Principal Investigator, Veteran’s Health Administration Pilot Program for Caregiver Assistance, Communicating Effectively with Health Care Professionals: Evaluation of a Curriculum for Family Caregivers. (2007, Amount: $229,727)
- John A. Hartford Foundation. Hartford Faculty Scholars Program in Geriatric Social Work. Research and professional development funding for 2006-2008. Research project: The Impact of Family Functioning and Health Care Communication on Health Care Cost and Utilization. (2006-2008, Amount of award: $100,000 plus travel/staff development costs)