Christopher G. Vecsey
Contact Information and Background
- VAP - Swarthmore College, PA, 2013-2015
- Post-Doc - Brandeis University, MA, 2009-2013
- Ph.D. - University of Pennsylvania, PA, 2003-2009
- B.A. - Amherst College, MA, 1999-2003
- NS101: Introduction to Neuroscience – Mind and Behavior
- NS201: Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience
- From Molecules to Memory
- Sleep: A Neurobiological Perspective
- I have studied a wide variety of neuroscience topics, ranging from the epigenetic mechanisms involved in memory in the mouse to the neuropeptide signaling mechanisms that control sleep and wakefulness in the fruit fly.
- The research in my lab at Skidmore will focus on studies of sleep control mechanisms in fruit flies. How do external and internal cues dictate an animal’s sleep/wake patterns? How does sleep deprivation impact these signals? We will use a combination of behavioral, genetic, cellular, and molecular approaches to try to tackle these questions.
- If you are interested in getting involved with research in my lab, learn more at my lab website (https://academics.skidmore.edu/blogs/cvecsey/) and get in touch!
- I grew up in rural upstate NY, 2 hours west of Skidmore, but have spent significant time abroad in Nigeria, Spain and Mexico.
- I was an All-State euphonium player and baseball pitcher in high school