Eleanor L. Huston
Eleanor L. Huston, former executive secretary to the Secretary of the College, died
March 3, 2006, at Saratoga Hospital.
Born Dec. 9, 1935, in South Bend, Ind., she was the daughter of the late Earl and Mildred (Pierce) McClone. Ellie graduated from Washington High School in her hometown and worked in a variety of support staff positions at the Physical Science Lab of New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, N.M. She and her family moved to Saratoga Springs in 1966 when her husband Doug joined the faculty of Skidmore’s Department of Chemistry and Physics. Ellie and Doug were married Oct. 2, 1954, and were the parents of two daughters: Janet (Daniel) Bell of Queensbury, and Diane of Saratoga Springs.
Ellie joined the Skidmore staff in 1981 as a secretary in the Office of the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs. She worked in the Office of the Dean of Faculty and the Department of Biology before joining the Office of the Secretary of the College. She retired in 1992. Colleagues remember her good humor and seemingly effortless ability to juggle a multitude of tasks, as well as her thoughtfulness. Her love for her family was evident in the stories she shared about the accomplishments of children and grandchildren.
That love of family, and especially children, was obvious to all and helped Ellie to earn the honorary title of “collector of kids.” Through her friendly nature and her work with the area Girl Scout organization, Ellie enjoyed the friendship of many local children. In addition to organizations connected to family interests, Ellie also was involved with the Bethesda Episcopal Church in Saratoga Springs.
Ellie is survived by Doug, their daughters, five grandchildren, several nieces and nephews, two sisters, and her very special cousin, Kathy.
Burial will be in South Bend, Ind.