Reference Guides and Style Manuals
In the next pages, you'll learn about three documentation systems:
- The 1999 documentation style of the Modern Language Association
- The American Psychological Association bibliographic form
- The American Chemical Society bibliographic form.
You will also find documentation models and advice for writing research papers available in academic departments across the College. For further or more detailed explanation of MLA documentation format and forms of citation, you should consult the following sources, which are on reserve in the Skidmore Writing Center (third floor of Ladd Hall):
- Bazerman, Charles. The Informed Writer: Using Sources in the Disciplines. 5th ed. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1995.
- Gibaldl, Joseph. MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers. 5th ed. New York: MLA, 1999.
- Trimmer, Joseph E A Guide to MLA Documentation. 3rd ed., Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1994.
- Weldenborner, Stephen and Domenick Caruso. Writing Research Papers: A Guide to the Process. 3rd ed. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1990.
- American Institute of Physics. Style Manual 3rd ed. New York:
- American Institute of Physics, 1978.
- American Mathematical Society A Manual for Authors of Mathematical Papers. 8th ed. Providence, R.I.: American Mathematical Society, 1984.
- American Psychological Association. Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. 4th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association, 1994.
- Associated Press. The Associated Press Guide to Style and Libel Laws.
- Council of Biology Editors. CBE Style Manual. 5th ed. Bethesda, Md.: Council of Biology Editors, 1983.
- Dodd, Janet S. ed. The American Chemical Society Style Guide: A Manual for Authors of Papers. Washington, D.C.: American Chemical Society: 1986.
- Fleischer, Eugene B. A Style Manual for Citing Microfilm and Nonprint Media. Chicago: American Library Association, 1988.
- Harvard Law Review. A Uniform System of Citation. 15th ed. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard Law Review Association, 199 1.
- National Association of Social Workers. Information for Authors About NASW Publications. Silver Spring, Md.: National Association of Social Workers, 1985.
- Turabian, Kate. A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations. 5th ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1987.
- University of Chicago Press. The Chicago Manual of Style for Authors, Editors, and Copywriters. 14th ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1993.