Peer Academic Coaching - Application Process
We are fully staffed at this time - Check back for Spring '21 openings
Interested in joining PAC?
There are a limited number of Peer Academic Coach positions, and the selection process is competitive. Students who meet the following qualifications may begin the application process to be considered for the next semester.
- Must be a major or minor in the department they are applying for, having earned an A- or better in the specific courses the PAC team supports
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 having completed at least one academic year at Skidmore
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members within the department
- Required enrollment in ID251A (2 credits) and ID251B (1 credit) – Peer Academic Coaching Experience and Peer Academic Coaching Lab during the first semester in the program
- Availability to work two evenings per week Sunday-Thursday from 7-9 p.m. while classes are in session
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, be reliable and flexible, work well as a member of a team, and display a passion for helping others succeed.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and selected candidates will be contacted to interview for any open positions. For additional information email email@example.com.
- ID 251B – Peer Academic Coaching Experience (2 credits)
The Peer Academic Coaching Experience course prepares students to work as Peer Academic Coaches in individual and group academic coaching settings. Through interactive group activities, students will explore topics such as the role of academic coaches, communication and rapport, ethics in academic coaching, group dynamics and facilitation, working with English language learners, students with disabilities, motivating reluctant students, learning and tutoring styles, conflict resolution, setting goals, diversity and inclusion, emotional intelligence, and exam prep. (Open to students who have been hired as new Peer Academic Coaches).
- ID 251A – Peer Academic Coaching Lab (1 credits)
The Peer Academic Coaching Lab serves as a weekly team meeting for planning, reflection, and preparation of materials for PAC sessions. Additionally, this course provides opportunities for professional development and requires participation in PAC and Skidmore community events. (Required for all new and returning Peer Academic Coaches).