Bernardo Ramirez Rios
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
Office: Dana Science Center 351
Tel. (518) 580-8369
Office hours: Tuesdays & Wednesdays 7:30-9 a.m.
- Ph.D., Anthropology, The Ohio State University, 2012
- MA, Anthropology, San Diego State University, 2007
- BA, Anthropology, San Diego State University, 2004
- Latin America and the Caribbean; Oaxaca, Mexico and the U.S.A.
RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
- Anthropology of Sports; Transnational Migration; Urban Studies; Culture, Youth, and Identity Studies.
- AN-101 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- AN-101W Honors: Introduction to Cultural Anthropology (Writing Intensive)
- AN-252 Latin American Region Identities
- AN-351 Urban Anthropology
- 2011 The Socialization of Sports in Latin America: Basketball and Culture in Oaxaca, Mexico and Los Angeles, California. ¿Qué Pasa, OSU?. Folklore Series. 18-22. By Bernardo Ramirez Rios.
- 2010 The Ethnography of Culture, Symbols, and Identity: Sport Jerseys and Team Names in Latino Recreational Sports in the U.S. The International Journal of Sport and Society 1(4): 35-46. By Keith L. Kleszynski and Bernardo Ramirez Rios.
- 2009 The Value, Costs, and Meaning of Transnational Migration in Rural Oaxaca, Mexico. Migration Letters. 6(1): 15-25. By Jeffrey Cohen, Bernardo Rios, and Lise Byars.
- 2008 Torneo Transnacional: Shooting Hoops in Oaxacalifornia. Columbus, Ohio: PAST Foundation Press. By Bernardo Ramirez Rios.
- 2015 Oaxaca Springs. Film Director: Bernardo Ramirez Rios. Cultural Media Archive Publishing.
- 2007 Crossing Over: Basketball on the Border of Community. Film Producer: Bernardo Ramirez Rios. Cultural Media Archive Publishing. http://vimeo.com/10634278
- 2011 Estrellas Oaxaqueñas. Runner Up in Globalization Category. Anthropology of Sport Photography Contest. Royal Institute of Anthropology. London, U.K. By Bernardo Ramirez Rios. http://www.flickr.com/photos/raieducation/5530042244/
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- 2013 PhD Dissertation, “Culture, Migration, and Sport: A Bi-National lnvestigation of Southern Mexican Migrant Communities in Oaxaca, Mexico and Los Angeles, California,” was selected as one of the 64 Best Cultural Anthropology Dissertations 2012 by Anthropology Works, a blog of the Culture in Global Affairs (CIGA) program, Elliott School of International Affairs at the George Washington University in Washington, D.C.
- 2009/2010 Dissertation Fieldwork Grant. College of Social & Behavioral Sciences and the National Science Foundation at The Ohio State University.
- 2008 Conference sponsorship through the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences and the National Science Foundation at The Ohio State University. Great Lakes Alliance for Social and Behavioral Science/Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate Research Conference. Chicago, Illinois. February 6-7.
- 2008 Department of Anthropology at The Ohio State University and PAST Foundation Battelle Scholar. Columbus, Ohio.
- 2008 Conference sponsorship through the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences and the National Science Foundation at The Ohio State University. Urban Ethnography: Its Traditions and Its Future. Yale University. New Haven, Connecticut. April 24-26.
- 2005-2008 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship. Mixtec Language Program. Oaxaca City, Mexico.