Charge to the Committee on Intercultural and Global Understanding
The Committee on Intercultural and Global Understanding (CIGU) is a subcommittee of the Institutional Policy and Planning Committee (IPPC) that advises the President and other College officials and bodies as appropriate regarding issues related to intercultural and global understanding.
In taking this work, CIGU will take into account a comprehensive institutional view and, in particular, will be guided by Goal II of the College's Strategic Plan, which states:
We will challenge every Skidmore student to develop the intercultural understanding and global awareness necessary to thrive in the complex and increasingly interconnected world of the 21st Century.
More specifically, CIGU will advise on policy issues, practices, and procedures relating to diversity, intercultural and global understanding, intercultural literacy, issues of campus climate, and other related matters.
The CIGU also will serve as a resource for the College officials charged with coordinating and implementing the College's strategic efforts in these areas, namely the Director of Intercultural Studies, the Director of the Office of Student Diversity Programs, and the Assistant Director for EEO and Workforce Diversity.
CIGU will ensure that any College-wide policy matters related to its charge are referred to the IPPC for consideration. CIGU, however, may introduce appropriate campus initiatives on its own accord, creating working groups or involving other offices as appropriate. CIGU shall report to the President regularly (at least once each semester) and may invite the President to attend meetings as appropriate.
Because of the significant overlap in membership of CIGU and the Bias Response Group, the College's Bias Response Group will function as a subcommittee of CIGU. The membership of the Bias Response Group and methods of appointment are set forth in the Bias Response Protocol. The President, in consultation with the chair of CIGU, will continue to appoint the Bias Response Group coordinator. CIGU will then be responsible for overseeing the work of the Bias Response Group and recommending changes as appropriate to the President.
- Director of Intercultural Studies
- Director of the Office of Student Diversity Programs
- Assistant Director for EEO and Workforce Diversity
- Associate Dean of the Faculty for Personnel, Development, and Diversity
- Two faculty members elected for three-year terms through a willingness-to-serve process administered by the Faculty Executive Committee
- One student member appointed through the Student Government Association willingness-to-serve process
- The Student Government Association Vice President for Diversity Affairs
- One non-exempt staff member elected for a three-year term by a willingness-to-serve process administered by the Office of the President
- One representative from the Office of Admissions appointed by the Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid
- One representative from the Office of Off-Campus Study and Exchanges appointed by the director of that office
- Chair of the Bias Response Group (BRG), a subcommittee of CIGU
- Director of the Office of Opportunity Programs or her/his designee
- Two students, one of whom will be the SGA VP of Diversity Affairs
- Assistant Director of Human Resources for EEO and Workforce Diversity
- Director of Student Diversity Programs
- Director of Intercultural Studies or other academic leadership
- One faculty member appointed by the President with the concurrence of the Faculty Executive Committee
- One additional Student Affairs representative (at the level of the Associate Dean or higher)
The Chair of the CIGU will be elected by its members from among the faculty representatives and shall sit as a member of the IPPC. The Chair may designate a Co-Chair from among the CIGU membership; in that case, the agenda for the subcommittee will be set by both.
Original charge approved by the Intercultural and Global Understanding Task Force (IGUTF) and the Institutional Policy and Planning Committee (IPPC) April 18, 2008.
Charge revised and approved by IPPC in November 2010.
Charge updated and approved by CIGU September 27, 2011, and approved by IPPC October 21, 2011.