First-Year Applicants, Regular Decision Checklist
Thinking about applying Early Decision?Early Decision Checklist
To be considered for admission, please submit the following:
- The application: Students must apply directly through the Common Application website or the Coalition Application website.
- Secondary School Report filled out by secondary school guidance counselor (includes official high school transcript)
- Two academic Teacher Evaluation Reports
- Midyear Report filled out by secondary school guidance counselor
- If applying for financial aid, follow the instructions on Skidmore’s Financial Aid website
- If you are sending any application-related materials via regular mail, please be sure to include your name and Common Application ID on all materials submitted via mail.
- $65 application fee (check or credit card accepted). No application can be processed until the fee is received or a request for a waiver has been signed by the student’s secondary school guidance counselor and submitted.
Skidmore College has been test-optional for the majority of our applicants for several years. Prior to the 2020/2021 admissions cycle we did however continue to require either the SAT or ACT from the following groups:
International students other than those who have attended an English-language-based school for at least 3 years
Students attending secondary schools offering written evaluations without accompanying grades
We understand many test sites have been closed and will continue to remain closed and that many of our applicants applying for fall 2021 admission will never have the opportunity to take the SAT or ACT. Subsequently, we will offer test-optional admissions for all applicants seeking fall 2021 admission – including the three groups described above.
Students may submit either the SAT or ACT if they feel their standardized testing results best represent their academic potential. We will not make any assumptions as to why some students choose to submit scores while others do not; all applicants will be given equal consideration in our holistic evaluation approach.
Specifically, for international students, the TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo English Test is still required if English is not your first language. If you have attended a high school for at least three years where English is the only language of instruction, or if you are enrolled in an IB diploma program, we can waive this TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo English Test requirement.
The Admissions Office requests that the results of all standardized testing be sent directly to Skidmore College from the appropriate testing service.
Self-reported scores – Those students who choose to submit standardized testing as part of their application may self-report their scores in any of the following ways at the time of application:
- Included on the Common Application or the Coalition Application
- Sending a screen shot or PDF of the Student Score Report to firstname.lastname@example.org (Be sure your name is visible.)
If you are admitted and subsequently enroll based on self-reported scores, you must submit official test scores and can do so in the following ways:
- Official report from the testing agency
- High school transcript
- Your school counselor
Please note, your admission could be at risk if your official scores are not consistent with self-reported scores.
Note: For information on what Skidmore looks for in its applicants, click here.
If submitting an art portfolio (not required)
Prospective studio art majors are not required to submit a portfolio. If you are submitting an art portfolio, please submit electronically via Slideroom, in partnership with the Common Application.
Keep in mind: Due to the number of portfolio submissions, applicants should adhere to the following guidelines to ensure that their portfolios are reviewed:
- At least four works must be drawings from direct observation.
- Artworks should demonstrate a command of elements of visual language, including composition, line, form and color.
- Portfolios should reflect the abilities and experience of the applicants.