First-Year Applicants, Regular Decision Checklist
Thinking about applying Early Decision?Early Decision Checklist
To be considered for admission, please submit the following:
- $65 application fee (check or credit card accepted). No application can be processed until the fee is received or a request for a waiver has been signed by the student’s secondary school guidance counselor and submitted.
- The application: Students must apply directly through the Common Application website or the Coalition Application website.
- Secondary School Report filled out by secondary school guidance counselor (includes official high school transcript)
- Two academic Teacher Evaluation Reports
- Midyear Report filled out by secondary school guidance counselor
- If applying for financial aid, follow the instructions on Skidmore’s Financial Aid website
- If you are sending any application-related materials via regular mail, please be sure to include your name and Common Application ID on all materials submitted via mail.
Skidmore College is test-optional for most applicants.
Students may submit either the SAT or ACT if they feel their standardized testing results best represent their academic potential. We will not make any assumptions as to why some students choose to submit scores while others do not; all applicants will be given equal consideration in our holistic evaluation approach.
The college will, however, continue to require standardized testing (SAT or ACT) for the following populations of applicants: international students other than those who have attended an English-language-based school for at least three years (see policy below), homeschooled students and students attending secondary schools offering written evaluations without accompanying grades. Applicants for the Porter Presidential Scholarships in Science and Mathematics are encouraged to submit SAT/ACT and any SAT subject tests in math and science.
Specifically, for international students, we require applicants to submit SAT I or ACT scores if English is not your first language and you have not attended a high school for at least three years where English is the only language of instruction. The TOEFL or IELTS is also required if English is not your first language. If you have attended a high school for at least three years where English is the only language of instruction, or if you are enrolled in an IB diploma program, TOEFL/IELTS is not required.
The Admissions Office requests that the results of all standardized testing be sent directly to Skidmore College from the appropriate testing service.
Note: For information on what Skidmore looks for in its applicants, click here.
If submitting an art portfolio (not required)
Prospective studio art majors are not required to submit a portfolio. If you are submitting an art portfolio, please submit electronically via Slideroom, in partnership with the Common Application.
Keep in mind: Due to the number of portfolio submissions, applicants should adhere to the following guidelines to ensure that their portfolios are reviewed:
- At least four works must be drawings from direct observation.
- Artworks should demonstrate a command of elements of visual language, including composition, line, form and color.
- Portfolios should reflect the abilities and experience of the applicants.