- Ph.D. in economics, American University, 2015
- B.A. in mathematics/economics, Connecticut College, 2009
PRIOR WORK EXPERIENCE
Economist, From Protection to Production Team
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Italy
- Lead impact evaluation research of social protection programs in the areas of food security, nutrition, and agricultural production in seven sub-Saharan African countries.
RESEARCH & TEACHING INTERESTS
- Development economics
- Applied microeconometrics
- Impact evaluation
- Labor economics
- Tiwari, Smriti, Silvio Daidone, Maria Angelita Ruvalcaba, Ervin Prifti, Sudhanshu Handa, Benjamin Davis, Ousmane Niang, Luca Pellerano, Paul Quarles van Ufford, and David Seidenfeld. "Impact of cash transfer programs on food security and nutrition in sub-Saharan Africa: A cross-country analysis." Global Food Security 11 (December 2016): 72-83.
- Tiwari, Smriti. "Does Local Development influence outmigration decisions? Evidence from Indonesia." World Development 93 (May 2017): 108-124.
- Tiwari, Smriti, and Paul Winters “Liquidity Constraints and Migration: Evidence from Indonesia” Forthcoming in International Migration Review.
- Macroeconomic Shocks, Return Migration and Investment decisions: Evidence from Nepal (R&R)
- Long-term Effects of Temporary Income Shocks on Food Consumption and Subjective Well-Being (R&R)
- Role of Social Protection Programs on Technical Efficiency of Agricultural Households in Zambia: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis (With Dr. Benjamin Davis & Dr. Silvio Daidone)
WORK IN PROGRESS
- Indonesia’s poor: What has changed between 1993 and 2015?
- Long-term Effects of Temporary Income Shocks on Children’s welfare
- Economic Activities of return migrants