Summer Funding Opportunities
Planning on working in documentary this summer? Whether your interest is an internship, independent project, or other opportunity, MDOCS would like to help you achieve your goals.
MDOCS is pleased to offer two funding opportunities for your Summer 2018 documentary projects and experiences.
Both opportunities are open to all Skidmore College students.
MDOCS SEE-Beyond Award
The MDOCS SEE-Beyond Award invites Skidmore students in any major or minor to explore new documentary and creative research techniques, technologies, or modes of inquiry or expression; to apply their academic-year learning to real-world challenges; and to clarify the interrelationship between their educational and post-baccalaureate goals.
See-Beyond Awards may be used to support field or laboratory research, internships, artistic residencies, workshops, apprenticeships, or productions. However, you design the experience that best suits your needs. This list is not exhaustive nor is it meant to be prescriptive. Any experience that puts your classroom learning into practice or that deepens your knowledge or understanding of the discipline may be supported.
Awardees will receive a $4,000 stipend for a significant summer experience of 7 –10 weeks. Experiences of shorter duration may be considered with proper justification but please note that this is a competitive award and proposals are evaluated with regard to the substance and rigor of the proposed experience.
Students need to submit: 1. Application Form; 2. Application Essay; 3. Supervisor's
- Click HERE to for application materials and additional information.
Documentary Studies Summer Experience Award
Documentary Studies Summer Experience Awards are offered on a competitive basis to support Skidmore students of all majors who wish to undertake advanced independent, community-based or collective projects, summer internships in organizations or companies working in the documentary field or summer DS courses. On an exceptional basis, the Award may cover advanced classes not regularly offered at Skidmore College based on strong justification.
Awardees may receive up to $2,000 of funding
Student need to submit: 1. Application Form; 2. Statement of Intent (including budget,
sample work, and equipment/space needs); 3. Faculty Recommendation letter
- Click HERE for application materials and additional information.
DEADLINE (for both): Friday, March 23 by 4pm
Send application materials to email@example.com with the subject "SEE-Beyond Application - [your name here]" or "DS Summer Experience Award - [your name here]"
The Fine Print:
Students who wish to apply for BOTH SEE-Beyond and Summer Experience funding:
- Must include a detailed budget with their submission.
- SEE-Beyond funds may be used at the student’s discretion to cover participation fees or tuition, travel expenses, and summer room and board.
- Summer Experience award offers may cover partial expenses
- MDOCS will take into account all funding awarded to the student for summer 2018 when evaluating applications.
- Students may apply for both opportunities but may accept only one award.
- Students who have previously applied for and/or received Summer Experience or Academic
Year funding are eligible to apply to both awards.
- Priority will be given to students pursuing documentary opportunities distinct from
those offered during the academic year.
- Priority may be given to students who have not previously received Summer Experience