Contact Information & Background:
Assistant Professor of Political Science
- Ph.D. Brown University, 2014 (Political Science)
- M.A. Brown University, 2010 (Political Science)
- M.A. Harvard University, 2006 (Regional Studies)
- B.A. Wellesley College, 2004 (International Relations)
- Visiting Student. Oxford University, 2002-03 (Philosophy and International Relations)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- “Militia Welfare: Resource Endowment and Public Goods Provision by Armed Nonstate Groups in Pakistan and Nigeria” (with Megan Turnbull), Political Science Quarterly, forthcoming.
- "Terrorist Prison Breaks" (with Trevor Cloen and Farhan Zahid), Perspectives on Terrorism 12, no. 1 (2018).
- “How We Know What We Know About Pakistan: New York Times News Production, 1954-1971,” Modern Asian Studies (2017), DOI: 10.1017/S0026749X16000901.
- “Genocidal Violence, Nation-Building, and the Bloody Birth of Bangladesh” (with Rachel Castellano), Asian Security (2017), DOI: 10.1080/14799855.2017.1335712.
- “Self-Defense Militias, Death Squads, and State Outsourcing of Violence in India and Turkey,” Journal of Strategic Studies (2016), DOI: 10.1080/01402390.2016.1202822.
- “Channeling Islam: Religious Narratives on Pakistani Television and Their Influence on Pakistani Youth” (with Sahar Gul and Feryaz Ocakli), Asian Affairs: An American Review 43, No. 3 (2016): 78-97.
- “Why Terrorists Target Children: Outbidding, Desperation, and Extremism in the Peshawar and Beslan School Massacres” (with Farhan Zahid), Terrorism and Political Violence (2016), DOI: 10.1080/09546553.2015.1135425.
- “One Shield, Two Responses: Anti-U.S. Missile Defense Shield Protests in the Czech Republic and Poland” (with Feryaz Ocakli), Politics & Policy 43, No. 2 (April 2015): 197-214.
- “The Politics of Diplomatic Service Reform in Post-Soviet Russia,” Political Science Quarterly 126, No. 4 (Winter 2011-2012): 669-680.
- “Bureaucratic Partisanship and State Building: The Case of Ukrainian Foreign Ministry,” Problems of Post-Communism 58, No. 2 (March/April 2011): 17-27.
- Awarded 2011 Millar Prize
- “Assessing the Costs of Weak Diplomatic Institutions” (Ukrainian: «Оцінюючи Втрати Внаслідок Слабких Інститутів Дипломатії»), Academic Bulletin of the Diplomatic Academy of Ukraine (Науковий Вісник Дипломатичної Академії України) Vol. 15 (2010): 228-234.
- “Political Science and the Rules of Causal Inference” (Russian: «Политология и правила выявления причинно-следственных отношений»), Polis 10, No. 6 (2009): 168-176.
- “Violence by Proxy: Russia’s Ex-Rebels and Criminals in Chechnya” (pp. 135-150), in State Terror, State Violence: Global Perspectives, Ed. Bettina Koch (Wiesbaden: Springer, 2016).
Selected Non-Peer Reviewed
- “An Opportunity for Regional Leadership in South Asia,” New Atlanticist, February 7, 2017.
- “Bridging the Gap between Policing and Counterinsurgency in Pakistan” (with Farhan Zahid and Philip Hultquist), Military Review (November-December 2016): 37-43.
- “When the Strong Weaponize the Weak: States and Guerrilla Warfare,” Sustainable Security (Oxford Research Group), October 19, 2016.
- “Between Radicalization and Violence” (with Gage Willand), Political Violence @ a Glance, June 23, 2016.
- “Peace by Assassination?” Political Violence @ a Glance, May 25, 2016.
- “The Problem with Proxies: Ideology is No Substitute for Operational Control” (with Orr Genish) Small Wars Journal, September 27, 2015.
- “Reimagining Pakistan’s Militia Policy,” Atlantic Council Issue Brief, April 27, 2015.
- “In Pakistan, Domestic Threats Begin to Overshadow India,” Washington Post, January 6, 2015.
- “Are There Lessons from Pakistan for Future of Fighting in Ukraine?” Washington Post, Monkey Cage, May 27, 2014.
- “Generation Putin,” Foreign Policy, January 22, 2008.
- “Between the East and West,” Moscow Times 4326 (Feb. 8, 2010), 7.
- “Unwelcomed Missiles” (with Feryaz Ocakli), Russia Profile, December 29, 2009.
- “Back on the Radar: The Organizers of Anti-Radar Demonstrations in the Czech Republic
Claim that Ordinary People Want a Say in the Debate,” Russia Profile, July 28, 2009.
“Iran: Code Orange?” Foreign Policy In Focus, June 30, 2009.
- “Learning from the Soviets in Afghanistan,” Foreign Policy In Focus, June 20, 2008.
- “Children of the Revolution: A New Generation of Russians Tries to Become Politically Active,” Russia Profile, February 5, 2008.
- “Why Alma Mater Matters,” Russia Profile 5, No. 6 (July 2008): 8-9.
- “A Rural Referendum: Villagers Hope Medvedev Will Continue Down Putin’s Path,” Russia Profile, March 3, 2008.
- “Banking on Russian Women,” Passport Moscow (September 2008): 30-32.
- “U.S.-Iran Relations Need Reform,” Wellesley News, September 2003.
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS:
- 2016-Present. Atlantic Council South Asia Center, Washington, DC, Nonresident Fellowship
- 2016, 2017. Skidmore College Faculty Student Summer Research Grant
- 2015-2016, 2016-2017. Judith Johns Carrico Faculty Grant
- 2014-2015. Atlantic Council US-Pakistan Exchange Fellowship
- 2015, 2016, 2017. Skidmore College Faculty Development Grant
- 2014. Skidmore College Center for Leadership in Teaching and Learning Course Development Grant
- 2014. American Institute of Pakistan Studies Travel Grant
- 2014. Spatial Structures in the Social Sciences Travel Grant
- 2013-2014. Watson Institute for International Affairs Graduate Fellowship [declined, to accept a teaching position at Union College]
- 2012-2013. Jennings Randolph Peace Scholar Dissertation Fellowship, United States Institute of Peace (USIP)
- 2012-2013. American Institute of Pakistan Studies Junior Fellowship
- 2012. Smith Richardson Foundation World Politics and Statecraft Fellowship
- 2011. Horowitz Foundation for Social Policy Research Grant (Special Recognition: John L. Stanley Award)
- 2011. James R. Millar Graduate Student Prize from the National Council for Eurasian and East European Research (NCEEER)
- 2011. New York Public Library Short-Term Research Fellowship
- 2011. American Political Science Association Centennial Center for Political Science and Public Affairs Fellow
- 2011. Foreign Language and Area Studies Summer Fellowship, South Asia Summer Language Institute (SASLI), University of Wisconsin-Madison (Urdu)
- 2011-2012. Brown University Graduate School Internal Dissertation Fellowship
- 2011, 2012, 2013. Brown University Office of International Affairs Research Travel Grant
- 2010, 2011, 2012. Brown University Graduate School Research Travel Grant
- 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. Brown University Graduate School Conference Travel Grant
- 2010. Brown University Political Science Department Methods Training Fellowship
- 2009. IREX U.S. Embassy Policy Specialist Fellowship
- 2009. Watson Institute for International Affairs Graduate Program in Development Summer Fieldwork Grant
- 2008-2009. Stanley J. Bernstein ’65 Graduate Fellowship, Brown University
- 2006-2007. Fulbright Fellowship
- 2005. Harvard University Davis Center Research Travel Grant
- 2005. Harvard University Ukrainian Institute Research Travel Grant
- 2005. Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Summer Fellowship
- 2002-2003. National Science Foundation Award for the Integration of Research and Education
- 2002, 2003. Francis Beirne National Essay Contest First Place Prize
- 2003. Target “All-Around” Award
- 2003. Wellesley Class Of ‘69 Community Service Award
- 2002. Centuria of Excellence Award
- 2001, 2002, 2004. Wellesley College Spirit of Service Award
- 2001. Youth Venture Grant
- 2001. Wellesley College First Year Academic Distinction
Conference and Workshop Presentations
- Book Manuscript Workshop, Center for Contemporary South Asia, Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs, Brown University (November 11, 2016)
- International Studies Association Annual Meeting (2014, 2015, 2017)
- Annual Conference on South Asia (2013, 2014, 2015)
- American Institute of Pakistan Studies Junior Scholars Conference (2015)
- International Studies Association Northeast Annual Conference (2015, 2017)
- Political Violence Workshop at Hamilton College (2015)
- Association for the Study of Nationalities Annual Conference (2015)
- American Political Science Association Annual Meeting (2010, 2014)
- Modern South Asia Workshop at Yale University (2014)
- International Studies Association Annual Meeting (2014)
- Annual Conference on South Asia (2013, forthcoming 2014)
- Cambridge University Press Watson Seminar, book manuscript review (2013)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Strategic Use of Force Working Group (December 2013 and April 2013)
- New England Political Science Association Annual Meeting (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014)
- Jennings Randolph Senior Fellows and Peace Scholars Workshop, USIP (2013)
- Midwest Political Science Association Conference (2009, 2012, 2014)
- National Seminar for Research Scholars on “Understanding Pakistan,” Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, India (2011)
- Harvard University Post-Communist Politics and Economics Workshop (2011)
- IREX/Woodrow Wilson Center Regional Policy Symposium (2009)
- Inter-Ivy Sociology Symposium at Columbia University (2009)
- Russian Academy of Education Conference on Professional Education, Chebaksary, Russia (2006)
- Harvard University Graduate Student Conference on Comparative and Security Policies (2006)
- Harvard University Davis Center Undergraduate Research Conference (2004)
Invited Talks & Guest Lectures
- Pi Sigma Alpha [National Political Science Honor Society] Keynote Speech at Skidmore College Political Science Department’s induction ceremony (March 10, 2016)
- Silver Bay YMCA, Silver Bay, NY (June 28, 2016)
- International Student Union, Skidmore College (December 2, 2016), “The Middle-Eastern and European Refugee Crisis: Causes, Consequences, Next Steps”
- Skidmore College WIB(“Women in Business”)Talk (March 28, 2016)
- Skidmore Encore (October 2015; November 2017)
- Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi, India (August 2015)
- Center for International Politics, Organization and Disarmament, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India (August 2015)
- Newcomb Foreign Affairs Roundtable, Newcomb, NY (July 2015)
- National Police Academy, Islamabad, Pakistan (December 2014)
- National Ground Intelligence Center, Charlottesville, VA (August 2014)
- Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, Moscow, Russia (March 2008; November and December 2012)
- Institute of Kashmir Studies, University of Kashmir in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir (2012)
- Nelson Mandela Centre for Peace and Conflict Resolution at the Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, India (2012)
- IREX Regional Office in Kiev, Ukraine (2009)
- American Center in Moscow, Russia (2008)
- U.S. Embassy in Moscow, Russia (2008)
- History of Russian-American Diplomatic Relations: 200 Years, FLEX Alumni Conference in Yaroslavl, Russia (2007)
- National Security Seminar, U.S. Army War College (June 2016)
- Dissertation to Book Workshop, American Institute of Indian Studies, Annual Conference on South Asia, Madison, WI (October 2014)
- Philip Merrill Center for Strategic Studies Basin Harbor Workshop (June 2014)
- Training in the field of strategic studies through a five-day pedagogical colloquium focusing on teaching an introductory course in strategic studies; syllabus construction; case teaching; use of film in the classroom; gaming and simulations; and staff rides
- Pay It Forward: Women Helping Women in International Relations, International Studies Association Annual Convention (2014)
- Summer Workshop on Analysis of Military Operations and Strategy (SWAMOS), Cornell University, Ithaca, NY (2013)
- Olympia Summer Seminars: Transformation of Conflict, Olympia, Greece (2012)
- Staff Writer at Russia Profile Magazine in Moscow, Russia (2007-08)
- Authored over 50 analytical articles; substituted Executive Editor in July 2008
- Research and Design for Causal Inference, Northwestern Law (2014)
- Spatial Structures in the Social Sciences Geographic Information System (GIS) Institute (2012)
- Institute for Qualitative and Multi-Method Research, Syracuse, NY (2010)
- Brown University Sheridan Center Teaching Certificate I (2009-10) and Certificate III (2010-11)
- College Reading and Learning Association Tutor Certification (2002-03)
Selected Media Appearances
- Foreign Policy, Quoted in “Streetfighting Men: Is Ukraine’s Government Bankrolling a Secret Army of Adidas-Clad Thugs?” (February 6, 2014)
- Al Jazeera Arabic News Channel, Live Interview (April 18, 2008)
- The Wall Street Journal, The Informed Reader, Coverage of my Foreign Policy article “Generation Putin Eyes the World Warily” (January 29, 2008)
- Chinese Xinhua News Agency, Interview (February 29 and March 3, 2008)
- Political Talk Show Narod Hochet Znat’ (TVS-Moscow Television Channel), Interview (November 30, 2007)
- American Political Science Review
- Asian Affairs: An American Review
- International Studies Quarterly
- Problems of Post-Communism
- African Journal of Political Science and International Relations
- Brown Journal of History (Associate Editor, 2011)
- Urdu/Hindi – advanced introductory
- Russian – fluent
- Spanish – intermediate
- Turkish – introductory
- Belarusian, Ukrainian – working knowledge