X-ray fluorescence spectrometer (XRF)
The Bruker Tracer III SD x-ray fluorescence spectrometer analyzes metals in solid samples such as alloys, sediments and art objects.
- Non-destructive technique
- Portable for field or benchtop use
- Vacuum pump for lighter metals
- Benchtop and tripod stands
This instrument has been used in several research projects and educational outreach demonstrations, including:
- Elemental analysis of Maya murals
- Determination of alloy composition during restoration of the Spirit of Life sculpture in Saratoga's Historic Congress Park
- Preliminary lead screenings in environmental samples, paint chips and old toys
Radiation safety training is required before operating this instrument. XRF-specific training materials can be found in the Radiation Safety section of Skidmore EHS Programs and Training.