B.A., Boston College
Ph.D., Duke University
Office: Palamountain 307
Phone: (518) 580-8397
Teaching and Research Interests:
- Literary modernism in both British and global contexts
- Contemporary Anglophone fiction
- Science Fiction
- The history and future of science
- History and theory of the novel
- Environmental humanities
- EN 105: Writing the Wind-Up World
- EN 105H: Meltdown: Literature, Culture, and the Climate Crisis
- EN 110: Intro to Literary Studies
- EN 211: Fiction
- EN 245: Science Fiction
- EN 311: Recent Fictions
- EN 312R: Modern British Novel
- EN 328R: James Joyce, Ulysses, and the Nightmare of History
- EN 363R: England After Empire
- EN 375: Senior Seminar: Ulysses
Professor Wientzen is the author of Automatic: Literary Modernism and the Politics of Reflex, forthcoming from Johns Hopkins University Press in 2021. This book examines the relationship between modernist literature and twentieth-century studies of reflex behaviors. Looking at the work of British writers such as D. H. Lawrence, Wyndham Lewis, Rebecca West and Samuel Beckett, Automatic situates modernist literature in relation to contemporary discourses of reflex, including fields like public relations, physiology, vitalism, sociology, behaviorism, and propaganda. Automatic argues that modernists responded to an emergent sense of modernity by understanding reflex as both a problem to be confronted through literary experience, as well as a potential solution to the political crises of the twentieth century.
- An Epic of Atmosphere: Rebecca West, Black Lamb, and Reflex. The Journal of Modern Literature 38.4 (2015).
- The Aesthetics of Hunger: Knut Hamsun, Modernism, and Starvation’s Global Frame.² Novel: A Forum on Fiction (2015).
- Automatic Modernism: D. H. Lawrence, Vitalism, and the Political Body.² Genre: Forms of Discourse and Culture 46.1 (2013).
- “Not a Globe but a Planet: Modernism and the Epoch of Modernity.” Modernism/Modernity Print Plus 2.4 (2017).
- “Strong Ecology, Weak Theory.” Modernism/Modernity Print Plus 4.1 (2019)