Students wishing to declare a minor in English should consult with the chair for specific program planning. The minor includes six courses in one of two areas of concentration:
Literature: Six courses, including:
- one course from "Forms of Language and Literature";
- one course from "Language and Literature in Context";
- three courses from "Advanced Courses in Language and Literature."
Note: The English Department allows no more than 12 credits and no more than two 300-level courses earned through study abroad or other institutions to count toward the minor. EN 371 can only count 1 time toward the Advanced Language and Literature requirement.
Creative Writing: Six courses, including:
- two courses from the Forms of Language and Literature category;
EN 280, EN 281, EN 282or EN 251;
- one additional course (which could be
EN 110, a 200- or 300-level literature course, or another 200-level workshop);
- and two 300-level creative writing workshops, open with regard to genre.
Students wishing to complete a minor in English should file a Declaration of Minor with the Registrar before the last semester of their senior year at Skidmore and maintain at least a 2.0 grade average in their concentration for the minor.
- The English Department allows no more than 12 credit hours and no more than two 300-level courses earned through study abroad or other institutions to count toward the minor;
- 200-level courses in English are open to first-year students unless prerequisites or restrictions are stated in the description