Off-Campus Study & Exchanges
Travel Seminar Financial Policies
- Students applying to a travel seminar will be required to submit a $250 confirmation
deposit at the time of application. This deposit will be credited to the program
- Skidmore College incurs many expenses as it plans for and implements a travel seminar.
Many of these costs cannot be recovered when a student withdraws from program participation
after accepting an invitation to the program. For this reason we must observe the
following policies on deposits and refunds in order to protect the interests of all
program participants and the financial commitments of the college.
The deposit and refund policies apply to all students who withdraw from program participation for any reason, who fail to appear for program participation on the appropriate dates, or who are dismissed from program participation.
- Students admitted to a travel seminar must accept or reject the offer by the established deadline noted in their acceptance letter. No guarantee can be made of a place in the program after the deadline has passed.
- Students who officially withdraw, in writing, or are dismissed from program participation prior to and including the program start date will forfeit the non-refundable $250 deposit submitted with the application.
- Students who officially withdraw, in writing, or are dismissed from program participation prior to and including the program start date will also be billed for all expenses already incurred or committed by Skidmore on the student’s behalf.
- Students who officially withdraw, in writing, or are dismissed from program participation after the program has commenced (using the program start date), will be responsible for the entire program fee.
- Under no circumstances may Skidmore financial aid be used to cover a defaulted deposit
or any other additional charges resulting from the student’s withdrawal or dismissal
from the program or failure to participate in the program.
- Travel seminar program fees will vary, as well as program features. Costs associated
with transportation to/from the group departure point, books, passport and visa costs,
as well as personal expenses are borne directly by the student.
- Students will be charged, and will be required to pay, the program fee(s) as outlined
in their acceptance letter for the dates of the travel seminar. However, advertised
fees are based upon costs currently in force and are subject to change.
- Once students have accepted the offer to participate on a travel seminar, the program
fee(s) will be billed by Skidmore’s Bursar.
- Travel seminars are credit-bearing courses; therefore, students studying on these
programs will be subject to the college's policy on overloads. (Please refer to the Bursar's webpage.)
- Students receiving financial aid should speak with a Financial Aid representative to review potential aid available for travel seminar participation.