Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Honors Forum

HFC- MINUTES  -- AUGUST 31, 1998


Michael Arnush, Phil Boshoff, Steve Hoffman, Jon Ramsey, Anita Steigerwald

The meeting began at 11.00 a.m., BO101.

1. First official meeting will be 9/16, 9-10am, President's Conference Room; agenda:

  • 1-2 credit courses

  • Academic Festival/Symposium (see below under #4)

  • members of Council to serve as advisors to student committees (see below)

NOTE: other meetings will be on 9/16, 9/30, 10/14, 10/28, 11/11, 12/2, 12/9, all in PCR from 9-10.

2. Schedule for 9/8 event:

  • 4.30-5.00 Brief greeting (M. Arnush, incl. introductions of HFC, HF faculty); scavenger hunt (A. Steigerwald)

  • 5.15-6.15 Dinner (paper invitations to go to 40 frosh via Anita; to 31 sophomores, 20 faculty, HFC and David/Helen Porter via campus mail)

  • 6.15-6.30 Brief business meeting (E. Levy w. M. Arnush): willingness-to-serve on student committees:

    • Social Activities (include co-curricular, field trips, fundraising, holiday party, etc.) (will be encouraged to plan both a late-September social get-together as well as a major event for the spring)

    • Newsletter and Publicity

    • First-Year Orientation (incl. coordination with Admissions)

    • Alumni contacts

    • HF Handbook and Website

  • 6.30-7.00 Presentation by D. Porter and M. Arnush

  • handouts: one-page form for willingness-to-serve on Committees (name, email, phone, prioritize 1-3); scavenger hunt

3. Enrollments for fall courses strong; as of 7/98:

AH101H: 12

CH107H: 4

EC/HF100: 8

EN211.4/HF200: 15 & 11

FL263A: 9

GE113H: 22

MA111H: 20

SO101H: 19

(+ LSI workshop: ID201H: 25)

4. Co-curricular for AY '98/9:

  • Sept. 8: Opening event

  • early Oct.: Gallery talk, Felice Frankel (Luce Disting. Faculty)

  • early Oct.: roundtable discussion, F. Frankel and Mary Crone (Physics)

  • Nov.: "Arcadia" roundtable post-performance? (M. Arnush to contact L. Opitz)

  • Steloff Lecture, Robert Pinsky (NOTE: it's one week before the Adler, on Nov. 3; M. Arnush to contact B. Boyers asap)

  • Dec.: Music/Dance performance? (M. Arnush to contact M. DiSanto Rose & G. Thompson)

  • Feb.: Moseley Lecture (J. Segrave), Feb. 18

  • March?: Honors Symposium '99 "Documenting Documentaries" or something similar; incl. T. Lewis, D. McCullough, K. Burns, et al.?

  • others? "Racism/Genocide" (M. Arnush to contact R. Ginsberg); R. Brodie's LSI gallery talk on looking at art analytically (M. Arnush to contact R. Brodie, J. Zangrando, S. Solomon)

5. Miscellaneous:

  • A. Steigerwald has forwarded profiles of 25 first-year HF students to M. Arnush, who will circulate them to HFC

  • M. Arnush to email the 20 summer-workshop faculty re: meeting on Oct. 9, 2.30-3.30, on an HF update: "How are you challenging the students in HF courses?" and "What are students bringing to the HF classroom?" - place TBA; email will include rallying of the faculty for beginning of semester, email invite to the 9/8 dinner, reminder of topics raised at May workshop

  • HFC will have a liaison with Admissions (M. Arnush as ex-officio), with Curriculum Committee (J. Ramsey; will explore this relationship further at 9/16 meeting)

  • HFC should report to CEPP 12/98

  • HFC will decide spring '99 courses after 9/15 deadline

  • M. Arnush to email 20 faculty + acad. staff requesting assistance in finding events HF can co-sponsor and support financially

  • Self-reporting sheet needs to be designed

  • M. Arnush to request creation of 2 bulletin boards (one for all HF faculty, one for all HF students)

  • J. Ramsey to pull together one-page handout (recycle spring handout?) for faculty advisors for 9/8

Respectfully submitted, 

M. Arnush

Meeting adjourned at 12.00 p.m.