2022 Application Information
It can be hard as an unpublished writer to declare oneself a writer. There’s always the thought, should I say I’m writing a novel or taking writing classes? It was nice to be here with others who wanted to get better at craft and talk about all of the ways we’re going about it without feeling judged.
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE PAGE FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY BEFORE CONTINUING ON TO THE ONLINE APPLICATION.
Institute Dates: June 27 – July 22, 2022
Application Review and Deadlines: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the program is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early as sections close out quickly; a waiting list for entrance to the program will be established and maintained. The deadline for Scholarship Applications is March 18 and applicants will be notified of their awards on or before March 31.
Applicants who are not seeking financial assistance will be required to submit:
- A $60 (non-refundable) application fee.
- A brief letter indicating which genre you are applying for (Fiction, Non-Fiction or Poetry) and your relevant background (degrees, previous workshop experience, publications, work experience, etc.).
- A writing sample of 5-20 pages of your best writing if you are applying for Fiction or Non-Fiction or 2-3 poems if you are applying for Poetry.
Scholarship Applicants must be undergraduate or graduate students who have been nominated by their creative writing instructor using this process, and will be required to submit:
- A $40 (non-refundable) application fee.
- A brief letter indicating which genre you are applying for (Fiction, Non-Fiction or Poetry) and your educational background (year in school, what school, studying with whom, etc.).
- A writing sample of 15-25 pages of your best writing if you are applying for Fiction or Non-Fiction or 3-5 poems if you are applying for Poetry.
- Note: One-week Master Classes are not open to scholarship applicants.
FORMATTING WRITING SAMPLES:
- The file name must have your full name and description (JohnSmithwritingstatement.pdf)
- Your full name must be on the first page of the document.
- The document must be 12 pt. type, have one-inch margins, include page numbers and prose must be double-spaced.
- Accepted document types: .DOC, .DOCX, PDF, .TXT
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please make sure you have your documents ready and in the correct format prior to starting the online application process. Once you start your application, you will need to complete it in its entirety. The system will not allow you to make changes once the application has been submitted. If you close the browser, you will lose all of your information. The application will time out after 20 minutes.