Especially for Parents
Your student has been offered the opportunity to participate in Skidmore's First-Year Experience in London during the fall semester before joining other members of the first-year class in Saratoga Springs for the spring semester. This exciting introduction to college life in an international setting will be guided by two Skidmore Faculty Coordinators in London and by the faculty and staff of IES Abroad London. Here are some ways we believe parents can best help prospective students decide whether to engage in this educational adventure:
- Read… and talk about London as a family.
- Encourage... your student to read all the materials we have sent and continue to check the website and Facebook group for photos, updated information, and orientation materials.
- Consider... your own comfort level. Students will be making the same kinds of independent decisions all students make when they go to college.
- Discuss... how your student has dealt with new and challenging experiences in the past. Do they approach new experiences eagerly and confidently?
- Support... your student's personal decision, whether to study in London or to pursue a different educational direction.
If your student does decide to join our London Program—as we hope they will—please
ask them to share with you all the information we provide. Please help emphasize that
tolerance and flexibility are keys to a successful venture abroad. Students will encounter
a multitude of fascinating differences while overseas and will want to explore these
differences with an open mind. The British way of life, attitudes, aspirations, and
values are worth close consideration; the place, the people, and their rich heritage
are sure to inspire interest.
Academically, the students that are offered London will find themselves well prepared for the rigors of the program. First-year students will receive the advice and counsel of Skidmore Faculty Coordinators who each teach a Scribner Seminar and arrange a variety of social and cultural events and excursions for students. Students can also seek advice and support from IES Student Services and academic staff.
We look forward to meeting you and your family!
Questions regarding the London FYE program details, orientation or arrival day should be directed to Kendra Nelson, London FYE Program Manager in Skidmore's office of Off-Campus Study & Exchanges, at email@example.com or +1-518-580-5355.
Questions regarding the admissions process should be directed to Jazmin Tule, Assistant Director of Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1-518-580-5583.