Off-Campus Housing Selection for 2017-2018
The Off-Campus Housing Selection process allows for students to choose to live Off-Campus in the local Saratoga Springs community for the upcoming academic year. The local Saratoga Springs community has a large number of rental properties that can provide students opportunities to experience life outside of the Skidmore College campus.
Student interested in exploring Skidmore College's Off-Campus option should read the information below pertaining to this selection process.
The Off-Campus Housing Selection process will run for two weeks in April following Apartment Housing Selection. Off-Campus Housing Selection is scheduled for April 3rd – April 14th. This process will be fully online using the Skidmore College Housing Management System.
The Off-Campus Housing Process has 3 required steps that must be completed in order:
- Submission/Updating of Emergency Contact and Evacuation Location information
- Most students have likely completed this step in past years. Students are requested to check this information and make any necessary changes.
- 2017 – 2018 Off-Campus Housing Application
- The Off-Campus Housing Application is required of all students applying to live Off-Campus. It will allow them to provide their Off-Campus Address and Landlord contact information if they already know it.
- Off-Campus Housing Selection
- Off-Campus Housing Selection is where students will confirm their selection of Off-Campus Housing. This is a separate step into itself. Students have not completed this process until they complete this step.
There is also 1 conditional step:
- Off-Campus Address Submission Form
- This is only required if student had not submitted the required information with their 2017- 2018 Off-Campus Housing Application.
All parts of this process will occur exclusively online. They will all be available on the Skidmore College Housing Management System.
For more information how to complete this process please see "Selecting Off-Campus Housing" guide.
To be eligible for Off-Campus Selection a student must meet the following criteria:
- Has not already selected On-Campus Housing
For the 2017-2018 academic year all current students (classes of 2018, 2019, 2020) are eligible to live off-campus with out need for exception.
GENERAL IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Off-Campus Housing Selection is not a group process. Every student wishing to live Off-Campus will need to complete all steps in this process.
Students must submit Address Information
All students living Off-Campus are required to provide two pieces of address information as part of the Off-Campus Housing Selection process:
- Off-Campus Address
- The physical address you will be living at. P.O. Boxes will not be accepted.
- Landlord Address/Contact Information
- The address/contact information for your landlord. This should include the name of the landlord or leasing business, their mailing address, email address, and a contact phone number.
Students may submit this information via the Off-Campus Housing Application or the Off-Campus Address Submission form; both found on the Skidmore College Housing Management System.
Failure to submit this information by the start of the academic year will result in a hold being placed on a student's accounts.
Things To Keep in Mind
Once you are Off-Campus, you are Off-Campus
If you complete this process you will be expected to live Off-Campus for the entirety of the 2017-2018 academic year. It will be your responsibility to work out issues with your housemates as well as with landlords. The College will not provide housing on-campus.
Under extreme situations (situations where apartments becomes unsafe and/or un-livable) the Office of Residential Life may work with students to find a space on-campus but this will be only on a space available basis and no guarantees can be made that space will be available at the time students request it.
Spring Semester Leaves and Filling Off-Campus Vacancies
If you are intending on studying abroad for the Spring semester we would strongly encourage you to think about this will mean in regards to an Off-Campus lease before you choose to live Off-Campus.
Check ahead of time to see if the landlord will allow you out of the lease at the end of the Fall term. This will be the best option when it comes to your lease.
If not the landlord will not let you out of the lease and subletting is you only option, plan ahead of time or consider looking elsewhere.
If you still choose to sign a lease in this situation, plan ahead for other students living off-campus or students returning from leave or abroad to take your lease in the spring. This will make filling the spaces much easier.
DO NOT arrange with students who are living on-campus for the Fall 2017 to sublet your space. The College will not permit students to move off-campus midyear to fill your apartment. Students living on-campus are contracted for on-campus housing for the full academic year with rare exceptions. Arranging with these students to sublet from you will likely end up with you being stuck with the lease while you are away.
Q: I got approved to live off campus last year and I want to continue living off campus next year. Do I need to do anything?
A: Yes! Even if you were approved to live off campus last year you need to complete the "20177-2018 Off-Campus Housing Application" and select off-campus as your housing option for 2017-2018, when the Off-Campus Housing Selection process starts on April 3rd.
Q: I have already signed a lease for the fall. Do I need to participate in Off-Campus Housing Selection?
A: Yes! If you would like to be considered to live off-campus, you need to participate in this selection process and receive permission to move off. You should not sign a lease without having been approved from our office to live off-campus.
Q: Why do I need permission to live off campus?
A: Skidmore College is a residential college, so our goal and focus is on-campus housing. Because of enrollment, we are able to let a limited number of upper-class standing students to live outside of the College's residential system, but not all. Therefore a selection process is necessary.
Q: I am on a leave (Study Abroad, Personal, etc.) this Spring 2017 semester. What do I have to do to go off campus?
A: Students who are currently on a Spring 2017 leave will need to complete the Off-Campus Housing Selection process to live off campus.
Q: If I am planning on studying abroad in the Fall 2017 semester and want to live off campus when I return. What do I need to do?
A: If you have applied or are considering applying to study abroad in the Fall 2017 semester and would like to live off-campus in the Spring 2018 semester, you will not need to participate in this process at this time.
You will inform the Office of Residential Life of your decision to live off-campys
Q: What if I miss Off-Campus Housing Selection?
A: This answer depends on when you apply.
- If you missed Off-Campus Housing Selection because it shut down early and contact us before April 14th at 4:30 pm: We will place students in this situation on a wait list for Off-Campus housing. We will give top priority to these students over those that contacted us after April 14th at 4:30 pm. You will be ordered based on class year and lottery number.
- If you missed the Off-Campus Housing Selection and contact us after April 14th at 4:30 pm: We will place students in this situation on a wait list for Off-Campus housing. We will give these students secondary priority to these students who contacted use before April 14th at 4:30 pm. You will be ordered based on class year and lottery number with in this group.
IMPORTANT: If you are on the off campus waiting list, you must participate in Room Selection.
Q: Last Year there was an incentive offered to students to move Off-Campus. Will that happen again this year?
A: No. An Off-Campus incentive will not be offered for the 2017-2018 academic year. Students wishing to live Off-Campus should select it as part of the Housing Selection process.
Q: Many Off-Campus rentals are not available to September 1st or later and I need to arrive early in the fall semester for athletics and/or other campus sponsored activites. Will the College provide me On-Campus housing until my Off-Campus rental is available?
A: No. The College is unable to house students who's Off-Campus rentals are not available when they arrive to campus. You will be responsible for making your own alternative arrangements.
The Office of Residential Life strongly recommends students that know they must arrive back to campus early consider living On-Campus instead of Off-Campus. If living Off-Campus is a must we encourage you to work out arrangements with their landlord ahead of time or look only to rentals available at their arrival date.