Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Residential Life

Residence Halls

Our eight traditional residence halls house primarily first-year and sophomore students in single, double and triple rooms. Each residence hall offers lounge areas, kitchenette facilities, study rooms, laundry, exercise equipment and vending services. Seven of our residence halls offer suite-style living where four to nine residents share a common bathroom. One residence hall is corridor-style where each wing of a floor shares bathrooms. All students living in the residence halls are required to be on the unlimited meal plan. Regardless of age, all residence halls are drug and alcohol-free facilities. Students can also choose to live in one of six special-interest communities.

The residence halls are supervised by Area Coordinators (ACs). Each floor in our residence halls has a Resident Assistant (RA).

Residence halls at Skidmore College are divided into two quads.

North Quad:
South Quad:

On-Call Support

Every night between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m., there is an RA on call in each residence hall, available to assist students. The RAs can be contacted by cell phone at the following numbers:

  • Howe-Rounds and Wait: 518-260-9915
  • Jonsson Tower: 518-260-9958
  • McClellan and Wilmarth:  518-260-9956
  • Penfield and Kimball: 518-871-3902
  • Wiecking: 518-322-7326

Res Life and Housing Policies

The Res Life and Housing Policies document is a comprehensive guide outlining the policies set in place that we hold students accountable for as residents of our campus.

Packing List: What to Bring and What Not to Bring

Many national retailers offer "what to bring" lists for a college room/apartment. However, these lists often include prohibited and/or dangerous items. Please review the Residence Hall Packing List to see how you should prepare for living in a residence hall.


A–Z info for living in the residence halls

Arriving Early Without Authorization

Residence hall rooms and apartments will be available for occupancy as specified by the Skidmore College Academic Calendar (published through the Office of the Registrar) each academic year. Students who arrive early without authorization or without being sponsored by a college official or office will be subject to a $250/day room and board charge and/or may be asked to leave the college until the semester opens.


Traditional residence halls (Howe-Rounds, Jonsson Tower, Kimball, McClellan, Penfield, Wait and Wilmarth) have suite-style bathrooms. This means that approximately four to six rooms share one bathroom, which includes two sinks, a toilet and a shower with a door. Bathrooms are cleaned on a regular basis. Toilet paper and hand soap are stocked in these facilities.

Wiecking Hall has communal single-sex bathrooms. Each facility has sinks, toilets and showers with doors. Bathrooms are cleaned on a regular basis. Toilet paper and hand soap are stocked in these facilities. The gender-neutral area has private bathrooms that are not gender-specific.


Cooking is prohibited in student rooms. Each residence hall floor has a kitchen area with a refrigerator and microwave for preparing light snacks. Appliances may be used in kitchen areas only, not in student rooms. The  residents of each floor are responsible for keeping kitchenette areas in order.

Damage Billing

  • Charges: Students are expected to leave their room/apartment in the condition they found it. All rooms/apartments will be inspected by the Office of Residential Life staff as well as Facilities Services after you move out. Any changes in condition including damages to the room and college-owned furniture, including the cleanliness of the room/apartment, will be noted. Students will then be held responsible for any costs associated with the repair or cleaning of their space. All charges will appear on a student's bill from the college.
  • Shared areas: Charges related to shared areas (doubles, triples, apartment, suite bathrooms) will be split evenly among all students living within that shared area unless a responsible party can be identified. Charges will not be applied to a specific student versus the group without the responsible student directly taking responsibility for the damages.
  • Appealing charges: Students have the right to appeal any charges associated with damages to their assigned room. To file an appeal, student(s) must submit a detailed outline of the charge(s) being appealed and why. This appeal must come via their Skidmore email to All appeals will be reviewed by a committee of professional staff in the Office of Residential Life and will receive a response within five business days. All appeals must be submitted within 30 days of the charges being posted to the students account. Appeals received after this time will not be accepted and/or reviewed. Charges related to common-area damages in the residence halls cannot be appealed.


Each residence hall has a housekeeping staff. While housekeepers do not pick up after individual students, they do maintain all common areas (hallways, bathrooms, etc.). It is important to keep your floor lounge and bathroom free from clutter, especially the countertops and showers.

The housekeepers do not clean individual rooms; that is your responsibility.

For facility concerns, contact your RA to assist you in placing a work order for the problem.  Depending on the severity/priority of your work request, please allow up to 10 business days for the completion of your request. It is important that you communicate back to your RA when the work request has been completed.

First-Year Student Housing

All incoming students are assigned a room and roommate(s) based on legal sex, smoking/non-smoking preference, and other preferences designated on the residential life housing questionnaire. First-year students are housed in triple and double rooms.

Please know that Skidmore College does not assign rooms or roommates by request or on the basis of race, religion or national origin. All of our residence halls are smoke-free and substance-free.

Incoming first-year students will receive a housing questionnaire link via email in early June. Housing assignments are sent to your Skidmore email account in late July.

Fire Safety

Skidmore College takes the issue of fire safety very seriously. Residence halls have periodic fire drills during the year, usually late at night. You should always treat a fire alarm as if it were a real fire. In order to provide further information regarding general safety, including fire safety, all students are required to participate in an online safety orientation during the first weeks of classes.   

Residence halls are outfitted with fire doors, sprinklers, smoke and/or heat detectors, and have clearly marked exits.

For the safety of all students, Skidmore College also expects students to follow the College's fire safety policy. The fire safety policy contains information on items and behaviors that are prohibited within our residential system. Failure to abide by this policy may result in a loss of housing privilages. For full text of the Fire Safety Policy, please refer to the Residential Life and Housing Handbook

Garbage Removal

There are designated trash rooms on each floor of the residence halls. Trash is removed from these rooms on weekdays and Sunday mornings.  It is the responsibility of the students to remove trash from their individual bedrooms.

Guest Policy

Residents are allowed to invite guests to campus. All students are responsible for their guest's behaviors and actions. A guest is defined as a person not actively registered as a student at Skidmore, a student who is not a resident of the residence hall or apartment system, or a student not assigned as an occupant of the specific building, room or apartment. Guests are limited to a stay of three nights per month. Residents must have the approval of their roommate(s) to have a guest stay, and the rights of others must not be infringed upon.

Guests who drive to campus should apply for a guest pass registration for their vehicle with Campus Safety.


Wireless internet access is provided by Apogee . This new wireless network is the most current technology available. Wireless speeds will be guaranteed at 20Mb download, 5Mb upload per device. You can register as many as five devices per person. If you opt to pay for faster service (or more devices), all your devices are guaranteed the faster download speeds. 

This wireless network will require registration for each device you’d like to connect. You can register before you even get on campus; just be sure to register all the devices you’ll be bringing. When you register, don’t use your Skidmore credentials. Be sure to choose “Resident” when signing up for an account.  

If there are any problems or questions with the registration process, please call the Apogee tech support number (855-377-4170). Apogee will also have a technician on site at Skidmore as a full-time employee to help with any problems.


Washers and dryers are located in the basement of each residence hall (first floor of Howe-Rounds). The cost is $1.75 to wash and $1.75 to dry. Machines are not coin operated; students must put money on their Skidmore ID card and swipe to use (coin-operated washers and dryers can be found in the first floor kitchenettes of Kimball and Wait halls).

For environmental purposes, all of our washes are set for a cold wash. 

Do not leave your clothes in the laundry room. When your laundry is done, pick it up.

E&R Laundry Service: Those who would like some help with their laundry may want to use E&R Laundry Service to wash or dry clean clothes and linens. E&R's toll-free number is 800-243-7789. Visit their website for more information.

Lock-Outs / ID Cards

When students first arrive on campus, check-in locations will be set up in all residence halls. Students will have their Skidmore ID Card activated for their room.  

If a student loses their ID Card, they should go to the Skidmore Card Office to obtain a new card. These cards can then be encoded for their room by visiting the Office of Residential Life.  Click Here to login to the Card Office website and deactivate your card if lost/stolen.

In order to insure the safety of possessions and personal safety, it is imperative that doors are locked at all times when the student is out or sleeping.

If you are locked out of your hall/room, please follow the lock-out procedures listed below:

9 a.m.–9 p.m.:

  • Contact your RA staff member.
  • If your RA is not available, try another RA in the building.
  • If no RA is available, call Campus Safety at 518-580-5566.

9 p.m.–midnight:

  • Contact the RA on call for your building.

Midnight–9 a.m.:

  • Contact Campus Safety at 518-580-5566.

*Note: It may take up to 20–30 minutes for Campus Safety to respond.

Remember, you are responsible for carrying your ID Card when you leave your room. This includes going to the bathroom, gym or class. This lock-out procedure is not to be used in place of carrying your ID Card.

Losses and Damage/Personal Property Insurance

The college does not accept responsibility for any theft or losses in student rooms, storage closets, storage areas or anywhere in college buildings or on campus at any time, either during terms or during one of the recesses.  This applies to any damage from water, steam, soot, smoke, fire or any other destruction. It is advised that all students be certain that they are protected by their family homeowner's insurance.

Gallagher Koster Student Personal Property Insurance, a company not affiliated with the college, does provide personal property insurance plans for individual students. CLICK HERE to download their 2011 personal property brochure.


All residence halls have lounges throughout the buildings. Most lounges feature sofas and end tables and one lounge per building contains a big-screen TV with a Blu-ray/DVD player and cable.


There is a fully operational post office located on campus on the first floor of Case Center, including individual student mailboxes. Please visit the college post office website to learn more about their services.

Local merchants who have flowers or baked-goods deliveries for students can bring them to the Case Center Information Desk on the second floor of Case Center. The desk is staffed from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday–Thursday and 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Friday. The desk has no system in place for weekend deliveries.


Within every residence hall, there are designated quiet hours, during which residents must keep noise to a minimum.

In addition, "courtesy hours," which call for general consideration regardless of time, are always in effect.  If someone asks you to quiet down, please comply.

During final exams, quiet hours are in effect 24 hours a day. The enforcement of quiet hours is everyone's responsibility. If your neighbor is being too loud, you are encouraged to ask them to please quiet down. If this proves ineffective, see your RA or call Campus Safety.

Quiet hours are:

        Sunday night–Friday morning: 9 p.m.–9 a.m.
        Friday night–Sunday morning: 1–10 a.m.


Students who have a vehicle on campus must be aware of the parking rules and regulations, which can be found on the Campus Safety website. Students are required to pay for a parking pass and register their cars with Campus Safety. Students may only park in designated areas.

Guests who drive to campus should apply for a guest pass registration for their vehicle with Campus Safety.


Pets, except for fish (maximum tank size 10 gallons), are not allowed in housing. Students found in violation of this policy will be charged a cleaning fee and the pet must be removed from the space immediately.

With proper documentation and approval through the special housing accommodations committee, approved emotional support animals (ESAs). Service animals are always permitted.

Prohibited Items

Below is a brief summary of prohibited items in the residence halls. This list of prohibited items is not all-inclusive.  Should items be found that are, in the judgment of Skidmore College officials, unsafe, Skidmore reserves the right to confiscate such items or require them to be removed. Please refer to the Room and Board Agreement for more detailed information.

  • Halogen lamp (both desk and floor; they generate too much heat and create interference)
  • Tri-color octopus lamp (it is a fire hazard)
  • Bed risers/cinderblocks
  • Microwave (one is provided in the kitchens)
  • Pets other than fish in up to a 10-gallon tank (no dogs, cats, gerbils, hamsters, turtles, snakes, etc.)
  • Illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia (including but not limited to hookahs, smoking pipes, etc.)
  • Alcohol
  • Binge-drinking paraphernalia (including but not limited to beer pong tables, funnels, luges, keg taps, etc.)
  • Candles (even if they are just for decoration)
  • Incense
  • Tapestries
  • Ashtrays (no smoking in any housing)
  • Extension cords
  • Weapons (including but not limited to BB guns, air soft guns, knives, throwing stars, etc.)
  • Wall paint (you cannot paint your room or apartment)
  • Large bass/stereo/amplifier systems (the walls are thin, and respecting neighbors is important)
  • Motorized vehicles other than wheelchairs


On each residence hall floor in the kitchen area there are recycling containers for "zero sort" recycling. Recycling is removed from the kitchens on weekdays. It is the responsibility of the students to remove recyclables from their bedrooms. Students can recycle the following items in a "zero-sort" capacity:

  • Glass (bottles and containers any color)
  • Metal (aluminum, tin, foil, cans, etc.)
  • Cardboard (cereal boxes, pizza boxes, etc.)
  • Plastic (containers #1–#7)
  • Paper (magazines, newspapers, mail, etc.)
  • Plastic containers (empty dining hall containers)

Special-interest housing

Special-interest housing allows students to live in special-interest housing options within our on-campus residence halls. Special-interest housing includes eight housing options that are outside of the standard Residence hall room selection process. Please see the descriptions below for each type of interest. Students may apply to live in special-interest housing during housing selection in the spring.

Substance-free floor

The purpose of the substance-free community is to support all students in their decision to not allow alcohol or other drugs to negatively affect the community in which they live. Further, the substance-free community exists in order to provide students with a comfortable, safe living environment free from the pressures associated with alcohol and other drugs. This community is close-knit, as students share this common bond. Students who are in substance-abuse recovery programs are encouraged to apply.

Students living within this community agree to three conditions:

  • Not to physically bring drugs and/or alcohol into this community
  • Not to enter this community under the influence of drugs and or alcohol
  • Not to bring guests into this area who are under the effects of drugs and/or alcohol

If students who live in this community are found to violate any of these conditions, they may be asked to move out of the community.

Substance-free—quiet floor

The substance-free—quiet floor is located on the third floor of Howe Hall, within the substance-free community and will observe 24-hour quiet hours in addition to the other conditions of substance-free living.

Global community

The Global Community has been designed for students who value learning about other countries. This community is open to all students (domestic, international, study-abroad alumni, etc.) who wish to learn more about the global influences on students.

Multicultural community

The Multicultural Community has been designed to provide opportunities for students to learn about, and appreciate the diverse backgrounds of their peers. This community is open to students of all racial and ethnic identities.

Gender Neutral housing

Gender Neutral housing is an option provided within our residence halls to allow students to live outside of the standard confines of housing by legal sex. Students choosing this option will be housed in either a section of Wiecking Hall, where the bathroom is not gendered, or in a suite in one of our eight other residence halls where the bathroom is not gendered.

Quiet floor

The quiet floor is a community designed to provide a quieter atmosphere than most residence halls in hope of providing an environment that meets the needs of students that need a quiet environment for their studies.

This floor will observe 24-hour quiet hours year-round. Students who live in this area and violate quiet hours may be asked to move out of the community.

Women's housing

In keeping with our roots of initially being founded as a women's college, Skidmore College currently offers women's floors within our residence halls. These floors provide our female students with an opportunity to live in a floor community consisting exclusively of other women.

The women's floors are open only to students whose legal sex is female.

Honors Forum housing

This housing option is available only to students in the Periclean Honors Forum. Students applying for this option will not need to complete the special-interest housing application; rather, they instead should connect with the Honors Forum staff to indicate their interest. 


All residence hall rooms are wired and ready for television use. Service is provided by Apogee (our internet service provider) through the DISH network. 

If you are experiencing problems with your television channels, please call the Apogee tech support number (855-377-4170). Apogee will also have a technician on site at Skidmore as a full-time employee to help with any problems.