New York State Summer Writers Institute
Faculty Awards Received
The New York State Summer Writers Institute announces its 34th annual summer program held in the beautiful, serene setting on the Skidmore College campus in Saratoga Springs, declared “One of the Best Places to Travel” (June 2019, Travel & Leisure). The Institute is designed for college-aged students and adults. An extraordinary staff of distinguished writers, among them winners of such major honors as the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award, serve as Institute faculty. Features include:
- Creative writing workshops in poetry, fiction and non-fiction
- Small classes that workshop student writings
- Nightly public readings and afternoon Q & A sessions with world-renowned visiting writers
- Weekend events, publishing symposia, panel discussions, student readings and social gatherings
- Private tutorial sessions for student fiction manuscripts, book-length poetry, or non-fiction (availableforanadditionalfee)
- Option to enroll for one-week (fiction & poetry only), two-week, or four-week sessions
- Undergraduate credit for students enrolled in the four-week Institute (optional)
- Option to live on campus in furnished, air-conditioned apartments
- Merit Scholarships for tuition
With sponsorship by
Approximately 75 percent of Summer Writers Institute students elect to live on the Skidmore College campus. These students are housed in an air-conditioned, furnished residence facility and are required to purchase the dining hall meal plan. They will have use of the College's facilities, including its library, tennis courts, sports and recreation center, swimming pool, and Northwood's hiking trails. Saratoga Springs is a city famous for its spas, Victorian charm, thoroughbred racing, and nearby Saratoga Battlefield. Its downtown shops, cafes, and restaurants are only a ten-minute walk from Skidmore. Institute students who want to venture further afield can also enjoy the Saratoga Performing Arts Center - summer home to the New York City Ballet, Philadelphia Orchestra, and top jazz concerts. The Adirondacks, Berkshires, and Green Mountains are all within a two-hour drive.
Skidmore College is a smoke-free campus. Skidmore’s Smoking Policy applies to all members of the Skidmore community and to all guests and visitors to campus.