Assistant Professor of Art History
Office: Filene 114
OFFICE HOURS SPRING 2015:
Thursday, 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Friday, 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Or by Appointment
- Ph.D., Art History, University of California, Los Angeles, 2007
- M.A., South Asian Studies, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1997
- B.A., Religious Studies, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1994
- Asia, particularly South Asia
RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
- Islam; Early Modern Empires; Colonialism; Nationalism; Postcolonial Theory; Women's Studies; Historiography; Preservation Practices; Tourism; Popular Culture
- Survey of Asian Art (AH 104)
- Image and Narrative in Asian Art (AH 351)
- Islamic Art (AH 209)
- Memory, Monuments, and the Mughal Empire in South Asia. Book manuscript in preparation.
ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
- "Locations of Longing: The Ruins of Old Lahore," in Third Text (journal, forthcoming 2011).
- "Competing and Complementary Visions of the Court of the Great Mogor," in Seeing Across Cultures, Dana Leibsohn and Jeanette Peterson, eds. (Ashgate Press, forthcoming 2011).
- Assistant Curator of South Asian Art, Asian Art Museum, San Francisco, 2007-2008
- Curator of Special Thematic Installation, Department of South and Southeast Asian Art, Los Angeles Country Museum of Art, 2001-2002
SELECT FELLOWSHIPS, GRANTS, AND HONORS
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, The Aga Khan Program in Islamic Architecture, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2010-2011
- Andrew Mellon Post-Doctoral Fellow, Smith College, 2008-2010
- Dissertation Year Fellowship, Graduate Division, UCLA, 2005-2006
- Dissertation Fieldwork Grant, Yvonne Lenart Graduate Travel Grant, Graduate Division, UCLA, 2002 – 2003