Health Insurance is Managed by the Bursar's Office
The Bursar's Office requires students yearly:
- enroll in the student health insurance plan OR
- waive with comparable alternative US-based health insurance coverage.
- The Bursar's Office will mail information on the student health insurance plan in June.
The current student health insurance plan is through CDPHP (Capital District Physicians Health Plan)
- Plan information (Coverage ends August 31st)
- Annual coverage $2,360
Insurance Coverage for Intercollegiate Athletes
- Intercollegiate athletes are covered by a secondary insurance policy for all athletic related injuries not covered by CDPHP. Inquire within the Athletic Department for more information.
- Injuries incurred while participating in club or intramural athletic activities are covered by CDPHP.
Helpful information when deciding to enroll or waive the student health insurance:
- Many private health insurance plans, especially HMOs, may not provide coverage for non-emergency, out of network medical care (including laboratory services, x-rays, specialist referrals, etc.), or may require prior authorization from your primary healthcare provider.
- It is your responsibility to check with your health insurance company to assure your current health insurance plan will cover you while in this area attending Skidmore College.
- Adequate health insurance coverage is essential to avoid out of pocket expenses and/or delays in accessing services in the event off-campus medical care becomes necessary.
- Will your current plan cover medical care beyond emergency services (i.e. provider’s office visits, diagnostic testing, x-rays, prescription drugs, mental health, etc.) in the Saratoga Springs, NY area?
- Does your plan have providers, hospitals and laboratories in the Saratoga Springs, NY area?
- Check the cost – is the annual cost of the student plan less expensive than the cost of being added as a dependent to your parents’ or guardians’ plan?
- Are there administrative pre-requirements, pre-certification, or primary care provider referrals required under your current plan that may delay receipt of care?
If you have a question or an issue about a bill please address this with the appropriate provider or contact CDPHP.