Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Risk Management

Motor Vehicle Policy: Rental Vehicles

The College’s insurance provides for both liability and physical damage for employees and students who rent vehicles while on authorized College business. The coverage extends for car rentals in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and U.S. territories (therefore, please waive the rental agency’s insurance coverage). A Certificate of Insurance is available that will evidence the College non-owned and hired auto coverage.

Employee’s personal effects, while within a vehicle, are not covered by College insurance unless the vehicle is no more than 1000 feet from campus (limit of $25,000). If a loss or damage occurs to your personal property outside of this radius, please submit the loss directly to your homeowners/renters insurance.

Rental Vehicles Outside of the US

  • For destinations to Canada – an additional insurance card is recommened, please print out this Canadian Auto ID Card.
  • For vehicles rented in a foreign country – you must secure the compulsory automobile insurance coverage offered by the rental company in that country.
  • If any rental vehicle will be in your custody for a continuous period of time (in excess of 30 days), please notify the Office of Risk Management.

Please note:
Skidmore has prohibited the use of 12 to 15 passenger vans based on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recommendation that schools and colleges no longer use them due to safety and liability reasons.