Henry T. Moore
Henry T. Moore became Skidmore's second president in 1925, ready to take on the challenge of developing the young college both academically and physically.
Moore's 32-year presidency brought Skidmore College to a position of leadership in women's education. Under his tenure, academic programs were developed and refined, and an excellent faculty recruited. A library, infirmary, residence halls, and dining halls were built, and other acquisitions allowed the College to grow further.
Even more significant than his administrative and financial abilities was his influence on a generation of Skidmore students whom he inspired to intellectual and creative achievement. The young college had grown to an enrollment of more than 1,100 by his retirement in 1957.
Moore Quadrangle (Kimball, Penfield, Wilmarth, and McClellan halls) is named in Moore’s
honor, as is a six-story dormitory on Skidmore’s old downtown campus that was completed
in 1957. The College sold Moore Hall in 2009 to a developer who has announced a plan
to some day build condominiums on the site.