The Skidmore Family and College Seals
The family that would eventually be called
Skidmore came to England from Normandy sometime before 1071. The
surname is first recorded as "de Scudemer." Scudemer/Scudamore gave way to
Skydmore/Skidmore by the mid-14th century, though the Norman
spelling enjoyed a renaissance during the reign of the Tudors, and
The part of the College seal considered correct from a heraldic standpoint
is the stirrup, which has been traced to the 1323 seal of Peter Scudamor.
A Welsh pedigree, ca. 1600, cites a John Skydmore as using a seal
with three stirrups; a shield bearing such an emblem appears in a
stained glass window at the church in Upton Scudamore, near Bath,
Later additionshelm, vegetation, unicorn, motto, and vertical
lines on the escutcheonwere invented or appropriated from heraldry
unrelated to the lineage of Lucy Skidmore Scribner. The motto
scuto amoris divini ("by the shield of God's love") is presumed
to be a play on the family name: scut- + amor- = Scudamor.
Sources: "An Overview of the History of the Skidmore Family"
(www.skidmoregenealogy.com) and Mary C. Lynn
Creative Thought Matters.