Jennifer C. Mueller
Assistant Professor of Sociology
Director Intergroup Relations Program (IGR)
Office: 226 Tisch Learning Center
Phone: (518) 580-5441
- Ph.D., Texas A&M University
- M.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
My research and teaching interests center around racial and ethnic relations, social
inequality and intersectionality, everyday culture, and teaching and social justice
I am broadly compelled by the mechanisms that sustain racial and other structurally embedded inequalities, as well as factors that promote social consciousness. These motives align the two primary aims of my work: to produce publicly relevant research on matters that impact the lives of everyday people; and to engage students in a dynamic learning process that illuminates both the influence of larger social forces on everyday life and our power to shape the social world we encounter.
I received my Ph.D. in sociology from Texas A&M University in 2013. Prior to my doctoral studies, I completed a B.S. in psychology and M.S. in counseling from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), moving onto professional positions with the university as an academic advisor for the College of Business and later, Assistant Director in UIUC’s Office of Minority Student Affairs. During my time in that position I was trained and served as an inter-/intra-group dialogue facilitator in UIUC’s Program on Intergroup Relations (newly reorganized under the Diversity and Social Justice Education Program).
RESEARCH & TEACHING INTERESTS
Race and Ethnicity, Social Inequality and Intersectionality, Critical Race Theory,
Cultural Sociology, Qualitative Methods, Teaching Pedagogy
- Sociological Perspectives (SO 101)
- Social Issues (SO 201)
- Race, Class and Gender (SO 204)
- Race and Power (SO 219C)
- Social Research Methods (SO 227)
- Consciousness, Ignorance, and the Sociology of Knowing (SO 251C)
- Racial Identities: Theory and Praxis (SO 361)
- Practicum in Facilitating (IG 364)
- Mueller, Jennifer C. and Joe Feagin. 2014. “Pulling Back the ‘Post-Racial’ Curtain: Critical Pedagogical Lessons from Both Sides of the Desk.” Pp. 11-24 in Teaching Race and Anti-Racism in Contemporary America, edited by K. Haltinner. New York: Springer.
- Mueller, Jennifer C. 2013. “Tracing Family, Teaching Race: Critical Race Pedagogy in the Millennial Sociology Classroom.” Teaching Sociology 41: 172-187.
- Feagin, Joe, Sean Elias and Jennifer C. Mueller. 2009. “Social Justice and Critical Public Sociology.” Pp. 71-88 in Handbook of Public Sociology: Toward a Holistic Sociology, edited by V. Jeffries. Landham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Mueller, Jennifer C., Danielle Dirks and Leslie Houts Picca. 2007. “Unmasking Racism: Halloween Costuming
and Engagement of the Racial Other.” Qualitative Sociology 30: 315-335.
- Reprinted in Race and Ethnicity in Society: The Changing Landscape (2011 Wadsworth, 3rd edition), edited by E. Higginbothom and M. Anderson.
- Abridged reprint as methodological exemplar in How It’s Done: An Invitation to Social Research (2011 Wadsworth, 4th edition), E. S. Adler and R. Clark.
- Profile in “Discoveries: New and Noteworthy Social Research,” Contexts 7(2): 8 (Spring 2008).
- Dirks, Danielle and Jennifer C. Mueller. 2007. “Racism and Popular Culture.” Pp. 115-129 in Handbook of the Sociology of
Racial and Ethnic Relations, edited by H. Vera and J. Feagin. New York: Springer.
- Reprinted in Rethinking the Color Line: Readings in Race and Ethnicity (2012 McGraw-Hill, 5th edition), edited by C. Gallagher.
SELECTED HONORS & APPOINTMENTS
- Dissertation Fellow, Texas A&M University, 2012
- Heroes of Peace Honoree: Race and Ethnicity Research Team under Dr. Joe Feagin, Texas A&M University Soka Gakkai, 2012
- U.S. Senator Phil Gramm Doctoral Fellowship, Texas A&M University, 2009
- College of Liberal Arts Dissertation Research Award, Texas A&M University, 2008
- Race & Ethnic Studies Institute (RESI) Research Grant Recipient, Texas A&M University, 2007 & 2008
- Texas A&M University Regents Graduate Fellowship, 2005
- University of Florida Alumni Fellowship, 2003
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students, University of Illinois, 2001-2003