About the Department of Art
The Skidmore College Department of Art is one of the oldest departments at the institution. Starting in 1903 – what might be considered the true beginning of Skidmore academics – the fine and decorative arts were an important component of the Young Women’s Industrial Club, founded by Lucy Skidmore Scribner. In 1911 this club evolved into the Skidmore School of Arts, and finally became chartered as a four-year liberal arts college in 1922 and was given the name of Skidmore College.
The Department of Art, comprised of accomplished artists and scholars, is also a long-time member of NASAD (The National Association of School of Art and Design), whose accredited institutions have proven, through their membership, an “interest in fostering high standards in art and design education.” As a member of NASAD, the relatively small Skidmore College stands among other well known accredited institutes such as the Rhode Island School of Design, Pratt Institute, and the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
While the courses offered by the department continually evolve in response to the needs of society, the mission of the department remains unchanged. The Skidmore College Department of Art has focused and will continue to focus on the individual student – encouraging the integration of personal experiences with the ideas of peers and professors. The Studio Art Program provides an education grounded in foundation, as well as a rich context for art – one in which philosophical ideas combine with technique to offer a broadening and layered curriculum composed of diverse styles and ideas.
Written by Susan Breyer '10