Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Office of the Registrar

Commencement and Diploma

Skidmore College’s commencement ceremony is held once a year, in May, for the members of the graduating class (e.g. Jan 2024, May 2024, and Aug 2024).  Students may not participate in the ceremony if they are not a member of the graduating class. 

For general information about the commencement exercises (dates, schedule, FAQs, etc) please visit the Alumni and College Events Commencement page.

Progress Toward Graduation

How to view your Degree Audit

Commencement and Diploma Application

Access the application in the Student System and also look for an email from the Registrar's Office announcing that it is open.

Diploma Name

Students may elect to have their Chosen Name rather than their Legal Name on their diploma. However, an official College transcript must include the Legal Name. 

Important: Some students may need to use their diploma in conjunction with their official transcript for legal, immigration, or employment purposes.

  • Students who plan to live, study, or work outside of the U.S. are encouraged to use their legal name on their printed diploma. Complications could arise if the name on your diploma does not match other documents like your transcript, passport, or birth certificate.
  • Students considering professional schools like law, medicine, nursing, pharmacy or dentistry, should take into account licensing requirements that often require the use of legal name on all educational documents including diplomas (i.e. State Bar applications and federal employment guidelines). Using a name other than a legal name could result in the rejection, delay, scrutiny, and/or requirements for additional proof of identification association with any applications for employment, licensure, credentialing, visa applications, and/or processes that require verification of your education records.
  • Students who wish to have an additional diploma printed with their legal name will be responsible for ordering a replacement diploma and covering the related fees.