IT Account Support
This process starts with the Registrar for students and Human Resources for employees. Until those offices enter your personal information, you cannot create your new account.
You will need your Skidmore ID number to create your account. Students: Your Skidmore ID number was provided within your admissions acceptance letter. Faculty/staff: You will need to contact Human Resources to obtain your Skidmore ID number.
Note: Account creation involves several components that take up to two hours to be completed. For incoming students these primarily affect the Academic Interests and Scribner Selection applications; for faculty, the Student Records and Advising portal. After you have created your account, if you cannot access these applications, please try again after two hours before reaching out for help.
Guests who are affiliated with the college and have a need to log onto college-owned equipment may obtain a temporary username and password. The account may last from one day to two weeks. It allows logging onto computers or wireless. Such an account does not have network rights such as access to our servers; it essentially has only Internet access but it does allow network printing. Guests may stop at the Help Desk on the first floor of the library during our normal working hours and make the request in person.
Employees may request guest access in advance of a speaking engagement or conference for individual(s). The employee will need to stop at the Help Desk to begin the process. The employee will need to provide information such as visitor's name, the time period the guest access will be needed, etc.
Skidmore College has special Wi-Fi for those guests who are not logging onto college-owned computers. Please point your device to the Wi-Fi access point named Skidmore Guest. You need to accept the policy on appropriate use and you need to provide your email address.
This Wi-Fi is excellent for guests such as visiting family members, admissions tours, some guest artists, vendors and more.
Employees and students must not use Skidmore Guest. It does not provide access to college resources such as printing, Blackboard and student systems.
If your legal name has changed, please visit the Registrar (students) or Human Resources (faculty/staff) to have the change made in our systems.
Then enter a help ticket to have the change finalized. Be sure to include your previous name as well as the new one.
For your security, Skidmore requires that your password be between eight (8) and sixteen
(16) characters in length. It must contain at least two (2) letters, with a minimum
of one (1) upper case and one (1) lower case, and at least one (1) numeric character.
The following are the five (5) acceptable characters to be used as part of the password:
! # : . ,
The password may not match three consecutive characters of your user name, nor may it be an exact reversal of your user name.
Avoid using consecutive characters of your first, middle or last name in your password. Doing so will cause your password to fail for email.
You may not reuse passwords; a different password is required each time. You are not able to rearrange or reverse the current password in order to create a new password.
The help desk can be reached at 518-580-5900.
For best results, please follow these instructions when changing your password:
- Read the password rules.
- Close all applications on your computer, except for a browser window.
- Visit the password change page
- Fill in the fields to change your password and submit the form. You will not see the password you submitted, so you need to remember it.
- Log off of your computer, wait 10 minutes, and log back on again with your username and new password.
- You can reset your password with your preset challenge and response questions.
- You can reset your password with your preset cellular phone (SMS message) or alternate email address here.
- The help desk can be reached at 518-580-5900 for a manual password reset.
Policies and Procedures
- Withdrawals: Your account will be closed 30 days from the time that your account is marked as withdrawn.
- Email accounts are maintained for as long as Microsoft continues to provide our mail service. Your login and primary address will change to email@example.com but your previous address, firstname.lastname@example.org will also continue to deliver email to your Inbox. You will be moved to this new login 30 days after graduation.
Faculty and Other Employees
- Based on information provided by Human Resources, an automatic process occurs and your Skidmore account is closed 30 days later.
- If you are an official retiree of the college, you may keep your email account into retirement. Retirees should log in with email@example.com.
- Students: After an item has been in your Deleted Items folder for 14 days, the Exchange email server will remove them.
- Employees: After an item has been in your Deleted Items folder for 30 days, the Exchange email server will remove them.
Forwarding Skidmore email to another account
Never forward any confidential or protected information to a personal email account. Most personal email accounts do not have the privacy and security necessary to handle confidential Skidmore information.
Never use your Skidmore email account to setup a third-party account (such as Amazon, iTunes, etc.)
Never use your Skidmore email address and password to setup an external, third-party account. If your account gets compromised on these sites, you are putting all of your Skidmore account information at risk. Always use a third party email account (gmail, yahoo, roadrunner, Comcast, etc.) to create third-party accounts.