Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Office of the Registrar

Declaring a Major 

A major field of study selected from the Skidmore College degree programs must be formally declared by the second semester of the sophomore year, prior to registration for the junior year (please check your email for additional information from the advising office). Major requirements are available in the College Catalog and students can also look at potential majors using the "What if" funtion in their Degree Audits. Students are limited to two majors and three minors.

A qualified student may propose a Self-Determined Major, which intergrates more than one discipline to achieve a clearly developed and coherent course of study not available through the existing majors and minors at Skidmore.  See the Self-Determined Major website for more information about the proposal process (Note: Second-semester sophomores interested in this option but without an approved SDM must declare an existing major prior to registration).

How to declare a major:

  • Print or obtain TWO copies of the Declaration of Major Form from the Registrar's website or pick them up in the Registrar's Office.
  • Make an appointment with your intended advisor. Discuss your academic plans and obtain his/her/their signature on both major forms; if obtaining remotely, email "signatures" are permiissible..
  • Obtain the signature (or email approval) of the department chairperson of your intended major.
  • Leave or email one copy of the form with the department of your intended major and deliver the other to the Registrar's Office. The Office of Academic Advising will be notified of any change in advisor, and your advising folder will go to your new advisor.
  • If you are declaring a double major, repeat this process for the second one.
  • Interdepartmental majors require an advisor in each department as well as the signature of each department chairperson on the Major form.
  • Self-Determined majors: detailed information for establishing a SDM can be viewed on the Self-Determined Major website.

Please keep in mind that declaring a major is not binding. It is possible to change at a later date. However, it is in your best interest to make a decision and start the process now.