Community Service  Leadership Activities  Religious and Spiritual Life  Student Diversity
Leadership Activities

Travel Policy

The Student Government Association understands that there are events that occur off campus that enhance students’ experience, and as such creates opportunities for students to experience those off-campus events by subsidizing the cost, but SGA does not have the ability to fully fund these experiences. This policy applies to all SGA clubs.

Weekend Trips

Weekend trips are defined as a trip lasting one day, or an overnight trip (1 night).

SGA will pay for 100% of transportation, lodging, registration, and associated fees. SGA reserves the right to fund less than 100% any transportation or lodging that is deemed too expensive.

SGA will not pay for food on trips. Students may apply to Student Activity Financial Aid (SAFA) if needed.

Conferences

For north-east conferences lasting a weekend (two days, one night) SGA will pay for up to 100% of transportation, lodging, registration, and associated fees. SGA reserves the right to fund at less than 100% any transportation or lodging that is deemed too expensive.

If the conference lasts 3 days or more SGA will pay for up to 75% of transportation, lodging, registration, and other associated fees. The students involved must pay for the rest of the cost. Students must provide 25% of the estimated total cost (their contribution) prior to SGA purchases. If the expenses have increased over time, the club must reconcile their debt as soon as possible. The budget will be frozen until the deficit has been reconciled. Students who cannot afford to pay for their personal contribution can apply for SAFA.

SGA will pay for up to one conference per semester per club.

Students must make sure the same members are not attending the same conference yearly if other club members are interested in attending any one conference. If SGA or the Office of Leadership Activities (OLA) sees the same student attending the same conference multiple years when other students are also interested, SGA will deny the student to allow other students the opportunity to attend. If this becomes a problem, OLA and the Club Affairs Committee will work with the club to create a fair system in the club charter to decide who attends conferences.

SGA will not pay for food on trips. Students may apply to SAFA if needed.

Break Trips

Trips over Thanksgiving break, winter break, and spring break are considered break trips.

Smaller, expensive weekend trips may be included in this category at the discretion of SGA and OLA.

SGA will pay for up to 50% of transportation, lodging, registration, and other associated fees. The students involved must pay for the rest of the cost. Students must provide 50% of the estimated total cost (their contribution) prior to SGA purchases. If the expenses have increased over time, the club must reconcile their debt as soon as possible. The budget will be frozen until the deficit has been reconciled. Students who cannot afford to pay for their personal contribution can apply for SAFA.

SGA will not budget for break trips. All trips must come to the Budget and Finance Committee to both be approved and request funding. Clubs are required to come no less than 30 days prior to the trip’s start day – but it is suggested that clubs come at least 60 days prior to allow for enough planning.

SGA will not pay for food on trips. Students may apply to SAFA if needed.

Students using JSS Activism Funds or Academic Pursuit Fund are exempt from this policy as they are not eligible to apply for SAFA.

Service Trips

Service trips will be defined as trips where their primary purpose is to participate in community service.

SGA will pay for up to 75% of transportation, lodging, registration, and other associated fees. The students involved must pay for the rest of the cost. Students must provide 25% of the estimated total cost (their contribution) prior to SGA purchases. If the expenses have increased over time, the club must reconcile their debt as soon as possible. The budget will be frozen until the deficit has been reconciled. Students who cannot afford to pay for their personal contribution can apply for SAFA.

SGA will not pay for food on trips. Students may apply to SAFA if needed.

A A A