Skidmania Fall 2023
The Department of Music is pleased to announce the second annual Skidmania, planned for November 17-18, 2023 at the Arthur Zankel Music Center. Celebrating the music of 50 years ago, and fueled by the talent and imagination of Skidmore student musicians, Skidmania ’73 will offer an exciting and inclusive bill of music and musicians, with all proceeds to charity.
Auditioned student acts will present creative twists on familiar music, or straight-up tributes--all based on selections from the music of 1973. Some noteworthy eligible songs include “You Are the Sunshine of My Life” (Stevie Wonder), “Dream On” (Aerosmith), “Killing Me Softly” (Roberta Flack), “Stir it Up” (Bob Marley), “Daniel” (Elton John), “Higher Ground” (Stevie Wonder), tracks from the debut albums of Bruce Springsteen, The Pointer Sisters, and Ladysmith Black Mambazo, and so many more fantastic possibilities! See more ideas below.
Audition deadline October 15, 2023 (by video submission). Requirements and details below.
More song possibilities
Further song ideas may be gleaned from online lists and other sources. Some particularly promising selections include:
- “Let’s Get it On” (Marvin Gaye)
- “Dream On” (Aerosmith)
- “Free Ride” (Edgar Winter Group)
- “Killing Me Softly” (Roberta Flack)
- “E Street Shuffle” (Bruce Springsteen)
- “Love Train” (O’Jays)
- “American Tune” (Paul Simon)
- “Drift Away” (Dobie Gray)
- “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” (Bob Dylan)
- “Call Me” (Al Green)
- “Hocus Pocus” (Focus)
- “Jolene” (Dolly Parton)
- “Desperado” (Eagles)
- “Jungle Boogie” (Kool and the Gang)
- “Watermelon Man” (Herbie Hancock)
- “Love, Reign O’er Me” (The Who)
- “Joker” (Steve Miller)
- “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” (Elton John)
- “Band on the Run” (Wings)
- “Bubbles in my Beer” (Willie Nelson)
- “Down & Out in New York City” (James Brown)
- “Lady” (Styx)
- “Break Up To Make Up” (Stylistics)
- “Angel” (Aretha Franklin)
- “Breathe” (Pink Floyd)
- “If You Want Me to Stay” (Sly and the Family Stone)
- “Give Me Love” (George Harrison)
- “Dueling Banjos” (Arthur Smith)
- “Yes We Can” (Pointer Sisters)
- “Get Up, Stand Up” (Bob Marley)
- “You Are the Sunshine of My Life” (Stevie Wonder)
- “Ain’t No Woman (Like the One I Got)” (Four Tops)
Take the stage for this historic musical event! Concerts are planned for November 17 and 18*, with acts to be selected by an audition process:
- Songs should be chosen from the music of 1973 (see above).
- We seek high-quality performances in a wide variety of styles and interpretations.
- We seek an inclusive mix of artists and performers.
- We wish to accommodate as many acts as possible; excessively long songs are discouraged.
- Audition by October 15, 2023. Submit videos here.
Questions about song selection, the audition process, or anything else that’s on your mind: contact Jeremy Day-O’Connell.
* Note: Skidmania weekend overlaps with the Theater Department’s mainstage production. Please do not audition if you are involved with the Theater’s production.