Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Music Department

Performance Handbook

Revised Fall 2011

D. Change of Applied Music Teacher

  1. Although the department discourages capricious change of teachers, students have the right to a change of teacher.
  2. Students desiring a change of teacher should take the following steps:
  • Approach the teacher with whom they wish to study, and be prepared to explain why they wish to change.
  • The teacher who has been approached by the student can ascertain if the student's reasons for a change seem valid and speak with the current teacher about the situation, and then decide whether or not to take the student.
  • In the event of a change of teacher, it is the student's responsibility to inform their current teacher of this change.
  • The student must obtain a "Change of Teacher" form from the music department secretary in Zankel 111. Signatures of both instructors are required. The form should then be submitted to the music department secretary.
  1. Students may not take lessons off-campus for credit.