Office: Zankel Music Center 212
- Ph.D., Musicology, Cornell University (2002)
- M.A., Musicology, Cornell University (1997)
- B.A., Mathematics and Music, Swarthmore College (1993)
RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS:
- Music theory and analysis
- 19th-century music
- Music and language
- Pentatonicism From the Eighteenth Century to Debussy. University of Rochester Press, 2007.
“Joint Speech: A Musical Perspective (or, In Praise of Singing)” in Music Perception 37.4 (2020): 363-65.
"Speech, Song, and the Minor Third: an Acoustic Study of the Stylized Interjection” in Music Perception 30.5 (2013): 441-62.
"Debussy, Pentatonicism, and the Tonal Tradition” in Music Theory Spectrum 31.2 (2009): 225-61.
"The Rise of 6 in the Nineteenth Century” in Music Theory Spectrum 24 1 (2002): 35-67.
- Review of Patel, Music, Language, and the Brain in Journal of Music Theory 54.2 (Fall 2010): 441-62.
- Contributions to two reference works: The New Grove Dictionary of Musicand Musicians, Second Edition, 2001, and to The Reader's Guide to Music, 1999.
- Conference presentations at annual meetings of the Society for Music Theory, the American Musicological Society, the Society for American Music, and the Society for Ethnomusicology.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Fulbright Distinguished Scholarship, 2009-2010.
- Philip Green Wright-Lombard College Award for Distinguished Teaching, Knox College, 2009.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Music Theory. University of Chicago, 2004-2005.
- Lilly Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Humanities and Arts. Valparaiso University, Indiana, 2002-2004.
- Donald J. Grout Memorial Prize. Music Department, Cornell University, 2002.
- Guildford Dissertation Prize. English Department, Cornell University, 2002.