A self-determined major is an approved course of study that a student develops based upon his or her intellectual, personal, and career interests that transcends the College’s existing academic offerings. SDM is neither a double major nor an interdepartmental major; it's the integration of more than one discipline toward the attainment of a clearly developed, coherent course of study. Recent self-determined majors include ethnomusicology, film studies, Chinese, poetry as a philosophical language, computational neuroscience, the physics of recording, and public health. Graduates have gone onto careers such as foreign service officer, anthropology professor, Hollywood music producer, and coral reef sculptor and educator.
Each self-determined major's program must contain a core of at least 10 courses pertinent to the student’s central interest, one being a culminating independent study project.
- Songwriting and Music Producing
- Music Production, Engineering, and Business
- Public Health Policy
- Human Computer Interaction
- Dance Science
- Dramatic Literature
- Communications & Media studies
- Political Economy
- Film Studies
Recent funded internships:
- Better Media for Social Democracy, free press intern, Washington, D.C. (SDM: Social Movements in Media)
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai, research intern, NYC (SDM: Dance Science)
- Health educator and community researcher, male circumcision for HIV prevention in Swaziland (SDM: Public Health)
Careers: A sampler of what our alumni do
- Project manager, Apple Computer, Sunnyvale, Calif.
- President, Biographics Inc., Buffalo, N.Y.
- Social media manager, Brigade Marketing, NYC
- Neurologist, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Mass.
- Assistant general counsel, BuzzFeed, NYC
- Project coordinator: Cafe Lena History Project, Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
- Chiropractor, Center for Integrated Health, St. Louis, Mo.
- Clinical social worker, Chesterfield County Public Schools, Chesterfield, Va.
- Computer/graphic design teacher, Columbia Prep School, NYC
- Set designer/art director, Consolidated Studios, San Francisco, Calif.
- Associate film professor, School of Fine Arts, Milwaukee, Wis.
- TV producer/documentary filmmaker, Discovery/History/HGTV Channels, Wellesley, Mass.
- Public opinion researcher, Mathematical Policy Research, Princeton, N.J.
- Producer/director/writer, National Geographic, Washington, D.C.
- Senior production engineering manager, National Semiconductors, Santa Clara, Calif.
- iOS software engineer, iPhone app developer, New York Times, NYC
- Waterbird program director, San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory, San Francisco, Calif.
- Executive director, San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art, San Jose, Calif.
- Social worker/HIV prevention, Santa Cruz City Schools, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- Associate immigration attorney, Simmons & Ungar, San Francisco, Calif.
- Executive director, Southwest Conservation Corps, Durango, Colo.
- Ocean artist/sole proprietor, Studio of Courtney Mattison, Denver, Colo.
- Architect, Tsoi-Kobus & Associates, Cambridge, Mass.
- Center chaplain, US Air Force, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
- Director, national sales, Virgin Records America, NYC
Graduate Schools:A sampler of where our alumni go
- Brown University, M.A. in environmental studies
- College of William and Mary, M.A. in American history
- Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, M.A. in public health
- Durham University (UK), advanced degree in medieval archaeology
- University of California, San Diego, Ph.D. in computer music
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, M.A. in folklore and cultural studies
- University of Virginia, M.A. in cultural anthropology