Spring 2021 Updates:
The Sustainability Office is not open for walk-ins, but our staff are available by
email, phone, and Zoom. Please contact us if you would like to set up a meeting.
All of our student programs are operating with safety and social distancing measures
in place. Some programs are on pause through the winter months and will return as
the spring thaws in April. Please see program details below:
- Skidmore Compost: Compost Work Parties are hosted on Fridays from 3-5 pm. Volunteers will work alongside student managers to collect, shovel, and turn food waste into rich compost. To maintain safe working conditoins, we will limit the number of volunteers each week. Folks must RSVP to email@example.com by 5 pm on the Thursday before the work party to be given a chance to volunteer. Read more about Skidmore Compost here.
- North Woods: Our student North Woods Steward will host winter hikes, pop-up events, and patrol the woods for maintenance needs. Please report trail concerns and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Find trail maps and read more about the North Woods here.
- BikeMore: Our free on-campus bike-share, BikeMore, is in winter storage through April. We will announce when the bikes will return online and via email to our bike-share members. Students can still register for the program online. Visit the BikeMore website for registration information.
- Skidmore Community Garden: Garden work parties will return in April. Read more about the Skidmore Community Garden here.
Skidmore College is committed to environmental action. Skidmore's intention is reflected in its Strategic Plan, which states that Skidmore will "develop, broaden, and deepen the College's connections to the local community; enhance our ability to function as a socially and environmentally responsible corporate citizen," and "make the Skidmore campus an environmental laboratory, increase our emphasis on responsible planning for sustainable operation and continue efforts to reduce the College's 'environmental footprint'."
Actions speak louder than words, and Skidmore's actions are loud and clear. From our 29 buildings on campus that have geothermal heating and cooling systems, to the hiring of a sustainability coordinator, Skidmore is making a clear effort towards environmental action. We invite you to explore our website and learn not only about the sustainability initiatives that are happening at Skidmore, but how you can improve your green living habits and participate in campus greening events.
- The student-led event shares sustainable local food with the Skidmore community and supports the community at large.
No upcoming events at this time. Check back soon.