Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College


Career Development Center


THE 2024 SEF APPLICATIONs Opens February 1st!

Frequently Asked Questions

What types of awards are offered within SEF? 

There are many different award opportunities that fall under the Summer Experience Fund umbrella. In addition to the larger fund that covers all areas of interests and majors, there are a few specific awards:

  • The Career Development Center Summer Opportunity Grant
  • Elizabeth M. Glotzbach Film Industry Award
  • Environmental Studies and Sciences Award
  • Gaier Family Award for Disability Studies and Services
  • Gilbert Family Endowed Arts Administration Award
  • Haley Entrepreneurial Artist Apprenticeship Award
  • Jennifer Landers '90 Award
  • Ken Freirich ’90 Social Entrepreneurship Award
  • Levine Award in American Government, Politics & Law
  • MDOCS Award
  • McAdams Family Service Award
  • Reece Robinson '18 Endowed Award
  • SGA’s Responsible Citizen Award for Volunteer & Community Service
  • Thorne Family Award
  • Visual Arts Entrepreneurship Award
Please visit our Award Descriptions page for more details about the awards mentioned above.

Who is eligible to apply for SEF awards?

First-years, sophomores, and juniors must be currently enrolled in classes during the 2024 spring semester, will enroll in the 2024 fall semester and must be in good standing with Skidmore College. 

Who is eligible to apply for the Post-Grad award?

Graduating seniors (May 2024) can apply for the post-grad award with a separate application.

Can I apply if I’ve received an SEF award in the past?

Yes, if current sophomores or juniors received a grant in a previous year, they can submit an application for the second time!  Seniors who have received an award in the past can submit a Post-Grad award application.  First-time applicants will be given first priority, and then students applying for the grant a second time. 

Am I required to have financial need in order to apply?

The Career Development Center Summer Opportunity Award is based on financial need.

Is there a minimum number of hours I need to complete over the summer to qualify?

Students must obtain a full-time summer internship minimum 30 hours per week for at least 7 weeks (total of 210 hours).  Students with confirmed full-time on-location and remote summer internships will be considered. 

An applicant cannot use multiple internship offers to meet the duration and hourly requirements. 

Is it possible to receive multiple awards?

No. If you receive any funding from any other Skidmore College Academic Departments/Programs or Administrative Offices including grants, scholarships, stipends, weekly pay in the summer of 2024 you are not eligible to receive a grant in 2024. 

Does my summer experience need to be unpaid in order to qualify for funding?

In order to be considered for funding, summer experiences must be unpaid or low paid; any payment received from the organization must be less than $2,000 for the summer of 2024. 

Will SEF fund a fee-based program or experience?

No, SEF awards do not fund fee-based programs or participation fees.

Do I need to receive academic credit for the experience? 

No, it is not necessary to receive academic credit for an SEF experience. However, students interested in receiving credit for their summer internship can access the Internship Credit Proposal Form online or inquire directly with the Office of Student Academic Affairs.

Are international students eligible to apply? 

Yes, but international students should check with an International Student and Scholar Advisor in the
Office of Student Academic Services before applying to identify any requirements they need to meet to qualify for awards. In addition, international students should be aware that awards are subject to federal taxes, which the College is required to deduct prior to awarding the funds.

International students who choose to work in the U.S. over the summer are subject to tax implications. If you have any questions please contact

What if my experience is outside of the U.S.? 

You can apply for funding however, you must review the College's policy on Risk Assessment for Student's International Travel for 2023-2024 Academic Year.

How will I know if the experience I am applying for meets the criteria to receive an award?

The SEF application contains two short essay questions, which will determine if the experience meets eligibility standards. In addition to the number of hours that will be completed, eligibility is determined by how well the experience will:

  • Support your career and/or academic goals
  • Provide you with skills and experience that will enhance your post-graduation opportunities
  • Expose you to the specific discipline or industry you are seeking to enter

Students must have someone who has agreed to serve as their supervisor, for an experience to qualify for an award. This person will be asked to verify the student's role, progress toward completing their hours midway through the summer, and completion of all hours at the end of the summer. For students doing an independent project, this person can be a Skidmore faculty or staff member. This person cannot be a family member.

Federal law requires payment of interns unless the internship satisfies criteria outlined by the U.S. Department of Labor.  Skidmore College cannot determine whether any internship satisfies the Department of Labor criteria. To help ensure that Skidmore students are provided with beneficial internships, Skidmore requires all employers participating in the program to certify that they have reviewed and will abide by the Department of Labor criteria established in the FLSA.   

Are awards taxed?
Award recipients are considered independent contractors and will receive a 1099 form indicating the amount of their award payment early the next year. A copy of their 1099 form is also sent to the IRS. Recipients will be responsible for paying income and social security taxes on their award when they file their tax return.
For international students, up to 30%, depending on your country of citizenship, will be deducted from their award payment for taxes, unless the United States has a treaty agreement with their home country which stipulates otherwise. International students will receive Form 1042S.

Are independent projects eligible to receive funding?

Yes, independent projects are eligible to receive funding. In addition to the Essay Responses and Supervisor Verification Form, applicants must complete a timeline of the project milestones; including dates, phase completions, and description of project deliverables. At the conclusion of the project, applicants will submit a final project summary and outcome.

Are there resources available to help me search for possible summer experiences? 
Yes! In addition to speaking with your faculty and academic advisors about summer opportunities, the Career Development Center has many resources to assist you in your search: 

  • Handshake is Skidmore’s internship and job database featuring several thousand current internships/research/volunteer experiences in all disciplines throughout the US and abroad.  
  • CEI Internships offer internship opportunities by industry and employer information through one easy search.  
  • Gale Research Centers Directory is a comprehensive guide to North America’s premier nonprofit research organizations. Information on each organization includes programs, staffing, and publications, as well as services of centers, laboratories, institutes, experiment stations, farms, research support facilities, technology transfer centers, think tanks, incubators, research parks, and more. 

When is the best time to begin searching for opportunities?

It is never too early to start searching! While there may be summer opportunities that are not yet posted, you should be researching, networking, and applying as soon as an opportunity of interest is listed.

Is there someone who can help me with my search?

Yes, you can speak with a Career Advisor in the Career Development Center who can help you search for and connect with opportunities, while ensuring that your resume and cover letters are prepared professionally. You can schedule a virtual appointment using Handshake

Application opens: February 1st at noon (12 pm EST)

The Career Development Center Summer Opportunity Grant Rolling Deadlines:

  • March 7th at midnight (11:59 pm EST)
  • April 11th at midnight (11:59 pm EST)

Do I need to have secured my internship/opportunity by the time I apply?

Yes. Opportunities must be secured and you will need demonstrate proof upon application submission. 

How should I prepare to complete the online application? 

  • Research and apply to opportunities ahead of time
  • Before applying have your experience secured and be prepared to give the following information: 
    • Name of organization
    • Organization website 
    • Address of organization 
    • Name of supervisor 
    • Supervisor email 
    • Supervisor phone number 
    • Supervisor job title 
    • Start and end date 
  • Be prepared to upload your answers to the following two essay questions: 

    Essay 1: In 250 words or less, describe your responsibilities and how your proposed summer experience relates to your post-graduation goal and/or career exploration goals.

    Essay 2: In 250 words or less, describe the skills you will gain from your proposed summer experience. Please include at least three NACE Career Readiness Competencies. For definitions of these competencies and examples, please review the following:

    NACE Career Readiness Competencies guide
  • Be prepared to upload the Supervisor Verification Form when completing your application. 

Note: Please see Application page for detailed instructions on how and where to upload forms.