Skip to Main Content
Skidmore College
Skidmore in Spain

Skidmore in Spain


Preference will be given to students who meet the following requirements:

  • A minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA
  • A minimum successful completion of FS-206 or its equivalent is required with a preference for successful completion of FS-208.
  • Ability to demonstrate, through personal essay and recommendations, the level of maturity and self- motivation needed to succeed abroad

If you do not meet the requirements above, you must petition to study abroad.

Customarily, second-semester sophomores and first-semester juniors apply to study abroad. Students at other stages in their Skidmore education must attend a mandatory advising session with an OCSE advisor. After this initial meeting students are required to:

  • Submit a letter of faculty support (preferably from the instructor of the student's Scribner Seminar).
  • Submit a one page letter explaining why they want to study abroad outside of the junior year. Students need to indicate in the letter what their academic plans are for the remainder of their time at Skidmore.

To Apply

Please apply by the following deadlines.

Fall semester: March 15*
Spring semester: October 1

* Applications for a Spring semester in Spain may be submitted by the fall program deadline, March 15, for consideration of early program acceptance. 

Applications may be accepted after the listed deadlines on a case-by-case basis.

Skidmore students with a major or minor in Spanish will be placed into the Skidmore in Spain (Alcalá or Madrid) program based on the recommendation of his or her advisor in the Spanish Section of the Department of Foreign Languages & Literatures. Please see your advisor for appropriate program selection.

Any student receiving academic or physical accommodations should be aware that the program may or may not be able to provide the same accommodations. Off-Campus Study & Exchanges staff is available to discuss your current accommodations to determine what accommodations can be provided.

Meet with the Coordinator for Students with Disabilities in Student Academic Services before you go away. The Coordinator can provide you with a statement of approved accommodations that would be granted at Skidmore during the time you will be in the foreign country. Feel free to discuss any disability-related questions related to study abroad with the Coordinator for Students with Disabilities.