BS in Human Physiological Sciences
Students who major in exercise science must:
- Fulfill the general college requirements.
- Complete nine exercise sciences courses: EX 111, EX 126, EX 127, EX 131, EX 241, EX 242, EX 311, EX 355, and a special topics course listed as EX 312 or higher.
- Complete CH 125 (preferably in the first year).
- Complete EX 355 to fulfill the Department Writing Requirement, and have CPR certification by the end of the second year.
For complete details on requirements for this major, please go here.
Skidmore is one of a very few liberal arts colleges that offers a major in Exercise Science (soon to be a Health and Human Physiological Sciences major). Our courses and research emphasize an understanding of the effects of exercise on human function, health, and the physiological and biochemical mechanisms underlying responses to exercise—in other words, the “science of health.” The major provides you with a foundation for advanced studies in fields such as exercise physiology, nutrition, sports medicine, biomechanics, and public health, as well as careers in medicine and allied health fields including physical therapy, chiropractic medicine, nursing, occupational therapy, and physician-assistant work. Many of our graduates go on to masters- and doctorate-degree programs, and report that their hands-on research experiences at Skidmore prepared them for success.
- Introduction to Exercise Science
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I & II
- Introduction to Public Health
- Exercise Testing and Prescription
- Principles of Nutrition for Health and Performance
Recent faculty-student research projects:
- validation of stair-mill test for assessing aerobic fitness
- rehydrating efficacy of maple water after exercise-induced dehydration
- effects of a combined protein and antioxidant supplement on recovery of muscle function and soreness following eccentric exercise
- Is the deleterious effect of a high-fat diet on vascular health mediated through vascular mitochondrial dysfunction?
- MnTBAP reduces adiposity and increases bio-markers for mitochondrial biogenesis
Recent internships with…
- athletic trainer for pro hockey team, Adirondack Flames (Glens Falls, N.Y.)
- orthopedic surgeon with OrthoNY (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.)
- occupational therapist in a public school (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.)
- Clinton Foundation Global Initiative health team (NYC)
- Project Healthcare, Bellevue Hospital (NYC)
Popular study abroad progams: University of Queensland (Australia) and University of Auckland (New Zealand)
Recent senior theses:
- The effect of barefoot running on EMG activity in Gastrocnemius and Tibilias Anterior in recreationally active females
- Autonomic Nervous System Balance of Firefighters Across a 24-hour Shift
- Does a High Fat Diet Accelerate Biological Aging in Mice?
- Effect of Vinyasa Yoga on Quality of Life Assessed through Psychological Stressors in College Female Athletes
- Motivations for moving: An analysis of physical activity in residential college students
- The Acute Effect of Exercise on Heart Rate Variability and Blood Pressure Responses to Lower Body Negative Pressure in Trained and Untrained Men
- The Impact of a Ballet and Modern Dance Performance on Heart Rate Variability in Collegiate Dancers
Careers: A sampler of what our alumni do
- Registered nurse:
-Albany Medical Center, Albany, N.Y.
-Central Vermont Medical Center
-North Shore-LIJ Health System, Bay Shore, N.Y.
-Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.
-University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Athletic director, Ashland High School, Ashland, Mass.
- Fitness services manager, Boston Sports Club-Wellesley, Wellesley, Mass.
- Physical therapist:
-Braintree Rehabilitation Hospital, Braintree, Mass.
-Physical Therapy of Harlem, Harlem, N.Y.
-Thomas Nicolla Physical Therapy, Troy, N.Y.
-University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Conn.
-Vermont Sports Medicine Center, Brandon, Vt.
- Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation, Saddle Brook, N.J.
- Firefighter/EMT, Burlington Fire Department, Burlington, Vt.
- Public health nurse, City of Newburyport, Newburyport, Mass.
- Anesthesiology research fellow, Columbia University/St. Luke's Hospital, NYC
- Orthopedic resident, Einstein Healthcare Network, Philadelphia, Pa.
-Enhanced Chiropractic Solutions, NYC
-Chiropractic Wellness Connection, Cottleville, Mo.
-Owner, White Plains Chiropractic and Sports Center, White Plains, N.Y.
- Operations manager, Fitcorp, Boston, Mass.
- Clinical research manager, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.
- Population health specialist and project manager, Harbor Health Services, Boston, Mass.
- Health educator/research associate, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute, Boston, Mass.
- Nurse practitioner/internal medicine, Harvard Vanguard Medical Assoc., Boston, Mass.
- Exercise physiologist/strength and conditioning, Holy Redeemer Hospital, Meadowbrook, Pa.
- Director of sport psychology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kan.
- Physician assistant:
-Landmark Medical Center, Woonsocket, R.I.
-New York Presbyterian/Cornell Medical Hospital, NYC
-Orlin & Cohen Orthopedic Associates, Long Island, N.Y.
-Saint Vincent Hospital, Harvard, Mass.
-Schenectady Family Health Services, Schenectady, N.Y.
- Executive director, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass.
- Post-bacalaureate IRTA fellow, National Institutes of Health, Boston, Mass.
- Nutritionist and registered dietitian, North Jersey Nutrition, Teaneck, N.J.
- Human capital management/wellness communications director, Plus One Health Management at Goldman Sachs, NYC
- Registered dietitian, wellness coach, sports nutritionist, RG Nutrition and Wellness, Stoneham, Mass.
- Product developer/footwear, Saucony, Lexington, Mass.
- Director of account management, SCIO Health Analytics, Boston, Mass.
- Clinical project manager, Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge, Mass.
- Culinary director for nutrition in the kitchen, Blum Center for Health, Rye, N.Y.
- Athletic trainer, Sage Colleges, Troy, N.Y.
- Athletic trainer, Valley Hospital, Ridgewood, N.J.
- Multisport education manager, USA Triathlon, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Member services coordinator, USRowing, Princeton, N.J.
- Owner, Virtuoso Fitness, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Head coach and strength/conditioning coach, Wesleyan College Athletics, Macon, Ga.
- Field hockey coach, Westfield State University, Westfield, Mass.
- Pediatric nurse practitioner, Yale University Children's Diabetes Program, New Haven, Conn.
Graduate Schools:A sampler of where our alumni go
- Athletic Training: Plymouth State University, Bridgewater State University
- Chiropractic Medicine: New York Chiropractic College
- Dental School: Tufts University
- Exercise Science/Physiology: Springfield College, Florida State University, University of Massachusetts-Amherst, Syracuse University
- Human Genetics: Johns Hopkins University
- Medicine: University of Pennsylvania
- Nutrition: Boston University, New York University
- Nursing: New York University, University of Connecticut, Regis College
- Osteopathic Medicine: Touro University, British College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Physician Assistant: Mass College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, Daeman College, Pace University
- Physical Therapy: Elon University, Massachusetts General Hospital, Nova Southeastern University
- Public Health: University of Delaware, University of Michigan
- Veterinary School: Cornell University