Below is a list of scientific articles published by the labs in the Developing Minds Center at Skidmore College. If you would like a copy of any of the papers below, please do not hesitate to contact us.
*indicates undergraduate co-author
Early Learning Lab
- Wojcik, E.H. & Odic, D. (2019). The publication gender bias in psychology. American Psychologist.
- Zettersten, M., Wojcik, E., Benitez, V. L., & Saffran, J. (2018). The company objects keep: Linking referents together during cross-situational word learning. Journal of Memory and Language, 99, 62-73.
- Wojcik, E.H. (2017). The Development of Lexical–Semantic Networks in Infants and Toddlers. Child Development Perspectives, 12, 34-38.
- Wojcik, E.H., de la Cruz Pavia, I, & Werker, J.F. (2017). Language acquisition. In O. Braddick (Ed). Oxford research encyclopedia of psychology. Oxford University Press.
- Wojcik, E.H., (2017). 2.5-year-olds’ retention and generalization of novel words across short and long delays. Language Learning and Development. 13(3), 300-316.
- Wojcik, E.H., & Saffran, J. R. (2015). Toddlers encode similarities among novel words from meaningful sentences. Cognition, 138, 10-20.
- Wojcik, E.H. & Saffran, J.R. (2013). The ontogeny of lexical networks: Toddlers encode the relationships amongst referents when learning novel words. Psychological Science. 24(10), 1898-1905.doi:
- Wojcik, E.H. (2013). Remembering new words: Integrating early memory development into word learning. Frontiers in Developmental Psychology. 4,151.
- Willits J. A., Wojcik, E.H., Seidenberg, M.S., & Saffran, J.R. (2013). Toddlers activate lexical semantic knowledge in the absence of referents. Infancy. 18(6), 1053-1075
Language and Social Development Lab
- Sullivan, J., Davidson, K., Wade, S.*, & Barner, D. (in press). Differentiating pragmatic contrast from scalar implicature in language acquisition. Journal of Child Language.
- Sullivan, J., Bale, A., & Barner, D. (in press). Most children do not know most. Language Learning and Development.
- Sullivan, J., Boucher, J. *, Kiefer, R. *, Williams, K.*, & Barner, D. (2019). Discourse coherence as a cue to reference in word learning: Evidence for Discourse Bootstrapping. Cognitive Science, 43.
- Deutchman, P. * & Sullivan, J. (2018). The Dark Triad and Framing Predict Selfish Behavior In a One-Shot Prisoner's Dilemma. PLoS ONE, 13, e0203891.
- Sullivan, J., Moss-Racusin, C., Lopez, M., & Williams, K. * (2018). Backlash against gender stereotype-violating preschool children. PLoS ONE, 13, e0195503.
- Sullivan, J. (2019). The Primacy Effect in Impression Formation: Some Replications and Extensions. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 10, 432-439.
- Johnson, C., Sullivan, J., Jensen, J., Buck, C., Trexel, J. *, & St. Leger, M. (2018). Prosocial predictions by Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops spp) based on motion patterns in visual stimuli. Psychological Science, 29, 1405-1413.
- Frank, M., Bergelson, E., Bermann, C., Cristia,, A., Floccia, C., …Sullivan, J.,…et al. (2017). A collaborative approach to infant research: Promoting reproducibility, best practices, and theory building. Infancy, 22, 421-435.
- Alvarez, J. *, Abdul-Chani, M. *, Deutchman, P. *, DiBiasie, K. *, Iannucci, J. *, Lipstein, R., Zhang, J. ⌘, & Sullivan, J. (2017). Estimation as analogy-making: Evidence that preschoolers’ analogical reasoning ability predicts their numerical estimation. Cognitive Development, 41, 73-84.
- Sullivan, J., Frank, M., & Barner, D. (2016). Intensive Math Training Does not Affect Approximate Number Acuity: Evidence From a Three-Year Longitudinal Curriculum Intervention. Journal of Numerical Cognition.
- Marušič, F., Žaucer, R., Plesničar, V., Razborsek, T., Sullivan, J., & Barner, D. (2016). Does Grammatical Structure Accelerate Number Word Learning? Evidence from Learners of Dual and Non-Dual Dialects of Slovenian. PLoS ONE, 11,
- Barner, D., Alvarez, G., Sullivan, J., Brooks, N., Srinivasan, M., & Frank, M. (2016). Learning mathematics in a visuospatial format: A randomized, controlled trial of mental abacus instruction. Child Development.
- Sullivan, J., & Barner, D. (2015). Discourse bootstrapping: preschoolers use discourse cues to learn new words. Developmental Science. doi: 10.1111/desc.12289
- Johnson, C., Sullivan, J., Buck, C., Trexel, J. *, & Scarpuzzi, M. (2015). Visible and invisible displacement with dynamic visual occlusion in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops spp). Animal Cognition, 18, 179-193.
- Sullivan, J., and Barner, D. (2014). The development of structural analogy in number-line
estimation. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 128, 171-189.