Course Selection and Approval
As part of the OCSE application process, you will need to select the courses you plan to take off campus and complete our online Proposed Course of Study Form. We have outlined the process for this below. Please read and complete each step carefully.
- Review OCSE's Academic Policies and resolve any outstanding issues before applying to study off campus.
- Visit your off-campus program website and search for course offerings that are offered
the semester you want to go. Remember, not every course is offered every semester.
Create a list of courses, including backup options since you might get closed out
of a class or a class might be canceled. Make a note of the following information you
will need to complete your course approval form:
- Course Number
- Course Title
- Host credits
- Link to course description or syllabus
- Meet with your academic advisor and discuss your course selection and your progress
- Complete OCSE's "Proposed Course of Study Form" online. Step-by-step instructions can be found here. Please note the following:
- You must begin your Skidmore off-campus study application before completing the course form.
- You must enroll in a full course of study (generally between 15 and 18 US semester credits).
- Course credit hours are determined by the host institution; Skidmore accepts transfer credits only as reported by the host institution.
- You must add all courses that you intend to take while off campus to the form; be sure to include additional courses for backup.
- Indicate if you would like to have a course fulfill a major/minor requirement or if you would like to receive general elective credit. If you select “General Elective Credit” on the form, the Registrar will review the course and determine if the course is eligible for general elective credit. You will only receive general transfer credit according to the transfer credit guidelines: https://www.skidmore.edu/registrar/incoming/transfer-credit-policy.php.
- YOU CANNOT TAKE COURSES FOR WHICH YOU HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED CREDIT AT SKIDMORE. Repeated courses are NOT eligible for credit; you will receive NO credit for classes you repeat off campus. You should work with the Registrar’s office if you have any questions about a specific course.
- ALL courses for language credit must be approved by World Languages and Literatures. This must be done even if you want general elective credit. Again, you CANNOT repeat the same level of a language class while abroad; you will not receive credit for that class.
- Some of your courses might be pre-approved and appear in the course equivalency Matrix. Others will need approval by a specific department, in which case you will need to add the HOST course number, title, credits, and a link to the course description.
- Courses that need departmental approval will be sent to the chair via email and processed
through the online system.
- Be sure to hit "SUBMIT" to complete your section of the course form. The form will
not move to the next state until you hit "submit".
- You are able to change and add courses up until you submit the form. After you submit the form, you will not be able to alter it. If you need to make changes after submitting the form, please contact OCSE.