Skidmore’s Memorial Garden
When E. Clarence Jones installed an elaborate circular garden behind his North Broadway estate in 1918, he couldn’t have imagined that over 100 years later it would become a place for celebration, peaceful contemplation and thoughtful commemoration.
Today, the 6,000-square-foot garden has been carefully restored, preserved and maintained by generations of Skidmore alumni. Its primary usage is as a memorial space, providing an intimate setting for Skidmore community members and alumni to remember classmates, faculty and friends who have passed.
It’s also become a special place for countless guests who have visited the gardens for their own special moments.
Did you know:
- The gardens were first restored as a passion project. We have Florence Andresen ’57, Barbara Mansfield Saul ’57, Elizabeth Hartz Hewitt ’57 and Marge O’Meara Storrs ’57 to thank for what we get to enjoy today.
- Ceramic vases filled with lush annuals depict the cycle of life and are the work of ceramists Jill Fishon-Kovachik ’81 and Skidmore faculty artist Leslie Ferst ’76.
- The centerpiece of the garden, dedicated in October 2004, is a ceramic sculpture of Bhumi Devi (a Hindu goddess representing Mother Earth) by artist Barbara Stroock Kaufman ’40.