Office of Community Service Programs
Each year, approximately 50 percent of Skidmore students participate in community service and fundraising activities, and our faculty teach more than 50 service-learning courses.
The Office of Community Service Programs, in the Division of Student Affairs, supports the curricular and cocurricular civic engagement activities of individual students, clubs, athletic teams and academic departments. The office serves as a liaison between the Skidmore community and more than 40 nonprofit agencies in the greater Saratoga region as well as a pre-orientation program and national and international service trips. Helping students become “informed, responsible citizens” is a priority of the office. We do this by providing experiences that encourage students to examine their values, develop practical competencies and apply their learning to find solutions for social and civic problems. The office supports student development by creating and sustaining opportunities for engagement and reflection both on and off campus.
Skidmore College was selected for the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll by the Corporation for National and Community Service. It is also a member of Campus Compact, a national coalition of college and university presidents dedicated to promoting community service, civic engagement and service-learning in higher education. Skidmore is profiled in the Guide to Service-Learning Colleges and Universities (Student Horizons Press).
Civic Engagement at Skidmore
- President Philip A. Glotzbach spoke to members of the Saratoga Springs Rotary Club about the value of a liberal arts education and Skidmore’s contributions to the local community and broader society.
- The student-led event shares sustainable local food with the Skidmore community and supports the community at large.
- The program has provided more than $108,000 and 38,000 school supplies and food items to Saratoga County nonprofits and agencies since 2006.
- Fred Guttenberg ’88 returns to campus to share his experience with members of the Skidmore and broader Saratoga Springs communities.
- A guest speaker offers guidance on an initiative involving Skidmore and surrounding communities.